Chapter XXII. As You Fade Into The Night

"Hailie, honey- wake up," an English voice floated through the fog of sleep. I opened my eyes.

"Mmm... morning, dad," I yawned, sitting up in bed. It had been three weeks since the party- Sammi had managed to live through my attack (damn). Danny and I had continued to strengthen our relationship, and I felt absolutely comfortable calling him Dad. It felt right. Jinxx, the guys and I had been regularly visiting my parents- I couldn't believe how much I'd missed my mom. She'd been overjoyed to see me and to meet Jinxx and the guys personally, while my other dad seemed... withdrawn... hurt, and angry. I felt bad for him. 

CC had managed to get drunk enough to let Ashley and Jake do his makeup and Andy to do his hair- and post pictures to Twitter... Pigtails. Red lips. Pink hair bows. Pnk eyeshadow. White foundation. Pink blush... fake eyelashes.

It was hilarious.

"Morning, Medusa," he snickered, gesturing to my unruly hair. I'd also re-dyed it again- it was now a light, sea green/blue. It was pretty- I liked it alot.

I got out of bed in my PJ's, threw my hair into a messy bun, and Daddy-Dan (his newfound nickname) and I headed downstairs.

"Morning, sleepyhead!" CC yelled as I descended. I waved, and smiled groggily. I went into the kitchen and dug around for some breakfast. I settled on two pieces of toast, slathered with pure heaven.

Mother. Fucking. NUTELLA (love that shit). I sat on the couch, and ate my toast 

"Nutella toast? For lunch?" Andy laughed, his arm around Ashley's shoulders.Oh yeah- they'd realized they had man crushes on each other, and were now an 'item'. And were adorable together.

I stopped midchew.

"Lunch?" I said, covering my full mouth with my hand.

"Yeah- it's one in the afternoon," Jinxx laughed. I jumped up.

"I have to get ready!" I yelled, throwing my toast at Jake's face. Me and Jinxx had our Bryan Stars interview at 3, and then my mom's birthday party afterwards.

I rushed upstairs, and deliberated for a good hour on an outfit. I finally decided on a maroon fitted tank top, a black leather jacket, and black skinny jeans. I pulled on my pair of black cowboy boots with silver metal studs and chains, and went to do my make up.

Hmm... straightened hair. Black eyeshadow. Winged eyeliner, and mascara. I exited my room, and met Jinxx downstairs- clad in a black v-neck, black skinny jeans, and black Converse. He grabbed his keys, and we all filed into Ash's SUV- Jinxx driving, me in the passenger seat... Andy, Ashley and CC in the back, and Danny and Jake in the back-back.

"Bryan Stars, here we come!"

(Interview= Bonus Chapter)

"Wow, that was great!" Ashley laughed as we left the mall. We'd done the interview in the movie theatre lobby- empty of people, seeing as it was a Tuesday evening.

Bryan had wanted to do the interview there because of the emptiness, and that he could incorporate anyone else into the interview if he needed to. 

It was pretty awesome- I had so much fun! Bryan was really a funny kid.

It was 5PM, and we headed to my parents' house for my mom's party. I was excited- my mom and I definitely gotten closer in the past few weeks.

We drove down the highway, and I watched everything pass.

When we pulled up to the house, I immediately knew something was off. I listened intently- and heard nothing. No heartbeats. No breathing... the lights were off.

Maybe they weren't home? As we got out of the SUV, that thought was squashed. The moon shone down, the stars twinkled... and the smell of blood lingered in the air.

Humna blood.

I ran to the door, followed by the guys. It was locked... I gripped the knob, and shoved it off its hinges, splintering the wood.  The scent of blood got stronger, and my heart raced behind my ribs. I searched the dark house- dining room, empty. Kitchen, empty. Living roo-

Oh... God. I sank to my knees among the shattered glass of the coffee table... of the blue frosting from the fallen, ruined cake... the birthday cards, scattered around... and I stroked the black hair out of my mother's pale, lifeless face.

"Oh... shit..." Andy whispered.

"What is it? Where's Hailie, what hap- Oh... no... Oh, no, no, no, no!" Danny's voice cried as he knelt next to me over my mother's lifeless body. "Oh, God... Oh, my God... Leah.." he whimpered my mother's name. Tears stung my eyes, and pain enveloped my heart. I gazed into her glassy green eyes, and closed her eyelids.

Blood soaked her shirt from her chest... and my heart stuttered. 

I looked up to find my other dad- and saw him on the floor a couple feet away, blood leaking from a wound in his temple... a gun next to his hand.

"Hailie..." Jinxx whispered. I heard a crinkle of paper, and turned to look at him. "This, um... it's, uh, for you," he handed me a folded sheet of lined paper. The top flap read- To Hailie, in my other dad's handwriting. I shakily opened it up.

Hailie. I am truly sorry for what I have done. I just could not take the pain anymore, knowing you weren't mine. Knowing my wife, my love- had sex before we were together. Knowing I had been lied to for 21 years. I couldn't handle it anymore.

I didn't want to live anymore... and, to pay for her betrayal, I am killing your mother as well. She broke my heart... I will shoot her in hers.

Goodbye, Hailie.                    -David.

Tears spilled down my face. That... selfish bastard! Pain ripped through my body as I wailed and cradled my mother's corpse. I rocked back and forth, tears falling fast.

The pain didn't stop. I looked up at Jinxx, tears wavering my vision. 

"Why... why isn't the defense thing happening?" I sobbed at him. He seemed at a loss for words, and hung his head in sorrow.

"Your grief is too strong to be suppressed," Ashley whispered. Of course... just great. FUCK! 

I rocked my mama's corpse, dripping tears onto her beautiful, gray face. 

I heard sirens wailing, and looked up.

"I called the police," CC murmured. I nodded- I wanted to be angry, but I knew it was the right thing to have done. I heard the glass crunch, and Jinxx knelt down with me and Danny. He picked up the 'letter' and handed it to one of the guys.

"We can talk outside, Officer... she'll be along when she's ready," Andy murmured gentl, and stepped outside with an officer. I sighed raggedly, and put my forehead to my mama's.

"I love you, mommy," I sobbed, sorrow overwhelming my heart. "Happy- happy birtday." I smoothed her hair back, and stood, pulling Danny with me. He wiped the tears from his red face, and followed my outside.

"Hello, Officer," I said as we joined everyone else. 

"Hello, Hailie, I presume?" she asked softly. I nodded. "Ok... I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to walk me through what happened."

I swallowed, and recounted the whole thing, tears falling again by the end. The woman nodded, writing it all down on a Legal Pad.

"Thank you very much, Ms. Quillen. I'll contact you if we need any further cooperation from you," she smiled sweetly. I nodded, and looked at my childhood home once more, got up in the SUV, and went home to a sleepless, sorrowful night.... as the officers criss crossed yellow police tape over the broken front door.

Ohhhkayyy so what do you guys think? Huh? FEEDBACK LOVELIES

Hailie's new hair to the sides <3