Chapter Five

Kelsey POV

There was no way I would be able to share a room with my mother for two months. She was crazy and I refused to be in such close corners to her for the entire summer. Even when she just sat there typing away on her laptop, trying to get some of her work done, she aggravated me. I wanted nothing to do with her.

That's how I found myself heading down the lobby to get myself my own room. After twenty minutes of fighting, my mom had reluctantly agreed to give me her credit card. I told her it would help me 'find myself' if I could have my own space.

When the elevator doors opened, I began to walk straight to where the front desk was.

        And then I saw him.

I saw him before he saw me. I saw his tan skin and his dark hair and his long eyelashes that hid his dark eyes.

I was still staring at him when he looked up and caught my eye. As soon as he saw me, he started to walk to where I was standing.

This is madness. What is he even doing here? An hour ago he was being a complete jerk and now he's here at my hotel and coming over to me? Why? We had one conversation. Hell, I talked to Johnson more than I did to Jack. I mean Johnson practically had to beg Jack to tell me his name. Why the hell was he here?

Then a thought occurred to me—he wasn't here to see me at all. I mean seriously, he had basically accused me of being a major slut with Nash and he clearly wanted nothing to do with me. He was here to meet some other girl. Maybe one of the girls from the bar earlier. He's just like any other boy from New York—desperate for a hookup in a place that would not allow any distractions.

Even though he was still walking toward me, I turned around and pressed the elevator button. The doors had already closed back up and I needed them to open so I could get on before he could reach me. I pressed the button about fifty times in a row and finally the doors opened—but it was too late. As I stepped inside, Jack also came inside. Before I could get out of the elevator, Jack leaned over and pressed the button that made the doors close.

Typical. When I press a button a thousand times nothing happens but then Jack touches it once and the elevator obeys. Really.

I made sure to move as far away as possible from Jack and look anywhere but at him.

"I'm sorry, ok?" Jack said to me. Looking at him from the corner of my eye, I raised my eyebrows at him. I desperately needed the elevator to reach my floor so this situation could end. Maybe I could convince my mom to take us to some other small town in another state, like Idaho or something. Anywhere where I wouldn't have to risk running into Jack.

"I was being a dick," he continued. I scoffed at his confession. I know alcohol is supposed to suppress inhibitions but apparently an awkward elevator ride is also the perfect drug for confessions. Our horrific exchange earlier was finally catching up to me and the pounding that was now assaulting my head put me in a spectacularly bad mood.

"Look Jack, this whole charade can just end. I have no interest in what you think of me or if you don't want to speak to me. Reality check—I don't really care." My statement started out strong and convincing, but it faltered toward the end when I finally looked into Jack's eyes. He looked like he had truly meant his apology.

He ran his fingers through his hair in an act of frustration. "Wow, you are infuriating. I just apologized and now you're pissed again. There is no winning with you."

"We met for the first time earlier today. Do not act like some clairvoyant and pretend that you know me."

Jack opened his mouth to retort when the elevator began to make a dying sound. Suddenly, the small box was shaking. I did my best not to panic even though my heart was beating out of my chest. My hands went out to grasp the walls around me and Jack did the same. Without warning, the elevator came to a standstill and the already dim lighting went pitch black.