Chapter 26: A Not So Grand Entrance

Sage

Butterflies can't see their wings. They can't see how truly beautiful they are. But everyone else can.

People are like that as well.

I wish I could hear what Marius and Adam are talking about. They are whispering in hushed tones. I can’t hear a word they are saying. 

“Ethel, I know Marius is keeping something from me. Do you have any idea what he could be hiding” I ask the kind witch to my right.

“Dearest there are a lot of secrets in our world and a lot of uncertainty. But as things come to light you must remember Marius does everything with you in mind.” Ethel says cryptically.

I’m not sure what to really say I just continue swimming.

“Sage, we are almost to the city walls. We’ll be coming around the back and sneaking into a rear entrance to the castle.” Marius says.

Nothing can prepare a person for meeting the love of their life’s parents. But these aren’t normal parents. A King and Queen. I have one chance to show these two people that I can be everything they want in a queen.

“Relax Amica, This is not going to be stressful. My parents are over joyed to meet you and so is my brother. I’m not going to rush you into anything if you don’t want to meet my family you can wait a week or two. Or whenever you want. You get to decide how things work.” Marius says.

I get to decide how things work. I’ve never had that power. I feel like I’m on top of the world! For once in this mess of I life I’ve been living I get to be the writer of my own story.

“I want to meet them when we reach the castle. I can’t hide behind you Mar. Besides I know you miss your family.” He smiles at my answer.

“Approaching the Gates.” One of the guards yells.

We swim over a sand bank and suddenly we’re at the foot of a towering gate. High above us stands golden pillars interlocked with a tangled mass of metal. I don’t hold in my gasp.

“Honey you haven’t seen anything. The front gates are even better” Ethel says from behind me.

Guards open the gate and all of us enter. Around me is dark buildings all made of coral and rock.

“The castle is in the middle of the city. No one is up we’ll be safe. Adam and Ethel will escort us home.” Marius says as he dismisses the guards.

Travelling along the kelp streets all the homes are dark. It’s like a giant coral reef. Fish swim among the homes. The houses move with the ocean. They didn’t break down nature to build their homes.

“My parents will be up to meet you. I’m sure my brother won’t. He’s always sleeping.”

‘I’m ready love. Do I look okay??”

“Yes my love. Beautiful.”

My heart is about to jump from my chest to my throat. I squeeze Marius’s hand in a death grip. Standing outside the castles doors. Large coral doors with stone statues of Gods and Goddess.

“Marius your parents wish to see you now.” Adam opens the castle door from inside.

“Ethel stay with Sage until Adam gets her. I’ll be right inside love. I’ll see you in a moment.” He kisses my cheek and I slowly let go of his hand.

I can’t exactly tell how long Ethel and I have been waiting outside the castle. But with every passing moment my anxiety grows and grows.

“Sage, relax. The Gods chose you for a reason. You will be loved and adored by our people. And the King and Queen will see how wonderful you and are know it as well.” Ethel tries to calm me down.

As if on cue Adam opens the door.

“Princess the King and Queen are in the Throne Room along with Marius and Algarum.” Adam says. I enter the castle, it’s beautiful. Long brilliant decorated hallways. Lines with paintings and tapestries. A grand staircase sits in the middle of the hall just like all castles. We walk past the stair case into a ball room before coming to a large door decorated with thousands of gems.

“Ready?” Adams asks.

“Ready as I’ll ever be!” I smile and put on my brave face. Adam opens the gem encrusted door. At the end of a long red walkway sits six thrones at my farthest left is an empty throne its bright yellow with a large sun decorating the top. Next is sits a gold and purple merman. His bright blonde hair is almost shocking his smile is much like Marius’s. But defiantly younger and more immature. Prince Algrarum. Next is a large over baring throne. An older merman sits he could win a King Triton lookalike contest for sure! King Caetus. Next is a smaller throne made of pink coral the mermaid who sits atop it has a beautiful smile etched across her features. Bright pink curly hair floats everywhere. Queen Excelsa. Finally an equally golden throne sits my mate who smiles brightly at me and nods at me to proceed. I swim up to the foot of the stage the royal family is sitting at. And bow deeply my nose almost touched the ground rising up moments late I look at the King, Queen and two Princes’.

Te noscere gaudeo” I bow my head lightly at all three and throw I wink towards Marius who can’t help but laugh a bit. He composes himself immediately and tries to put on a serious face.

“Pleased to meet you as well Sage. We have heard so much about you.” The King says.

“It is an honor to be in your presence your majesties.” I look at Marius’s family.

“Thank you for taking care of our son.” The queen says and grabs her husband’s hand.

“Yeah and thanks for taking him away. Can you do it again?” Algrarum laughs and everyone shoots him a dirty look. I wait for the king to say something but her doesn’t. He just stares at me.

“That’s enough Al. I’m sure you are very tired. You and Marius should head off to bed. We’ll defiantly be following you!” Queen Excelsa smiles and I swim to Marius who immediately sweeps me away up the grand stair case.

“You did well Amica. Let’s get some sleep I’ll show you the castle in the morning.” Marius grabs my hand and leads me to the end of the hall.

He opens another gold gem incrusted door. To reveal a giant clam. A monster of a clam.

“Oh that is typical. Clam bed?” I ask.

“They are comfortable!!” Marius protest. I flop on the clam and snuggle into it’s soft tongue.

“So I’ll see you in the morning?” I ask him.

“Where do you think I’m going?”

“To your room?”

“Silly this is my room!” He says and drops into the clam beside me.

Many moments of kissing and cuddling later we finally fall asleep.