Prologue

Athena's POV

"Momma please don't go." I sobbed watching as the machine that kept my mother alive helped her breath. In a few hours the doctor was going to unplug the machine. He mentioned something that her brain activity had stopped. She was a lost cause and it wasn't right to keep her alive any more. This wasn't fair. I needed my other here to help me understand what I will go through. I was only twelve right now and just had a first shift before my mother was seriously injured in a fight trying to protect me and my eight year old sister from a pack of rouges.

My father blames me for all of this. Once we had her in the pack hospital my father took me home and into the basement so no one heard me scream, but my brother Michael knew what was happening. He watched our father pull me screaming and tears rolling down my cheeks into the basement.

I couldn't breath right for a few hours. I knew he most likely broke or cracked a rib then. I couldn't sit properly either. I wish this never happened. My mother always protected me and my sister from my father. Now she is gone leaving us with this monster.

I made a promise after that first beating. To let him beat me and not my brother or sister. I would take the blame for everything. If I didn't live past the age of twenty then so be it. If it means protecting my siblings for as long as I can then it is worth it all.