prologue

are you pulling her from a burning building or throwing her to the sharks?

can only hope that the ending is as pleasurable as the start

***

Oh boy, here we go.

There were different types of girls in every prison. You had the muscular ones, that were always ready to fight anyone that tried to hurt them. Girls who had connections with the guards and exploited them as much as they could. The girls who were likeable enough to make real friends. Smart girls that had detailed plans to keep their lives in prison as easy as possible. Which one of these types of girls was I? 

I was the idiot that made a mistake and got herself a life sentence at eighteen.

Things were going so well in court until the judge heard that I was a legal adult. Technically my birthday was only a few weeks before I got arrested, but he stopped listening as soon as an attorney blurted out the date of my birthday.  Just like that, my life got written off, so now here I was, at the same place where I'll be until the rest of my days.

This is driving me crazy.

'' I can't even find the right words to express how immensely thankful I am that you accepted me in your clique, so I'm just going to keep it short and sweet... Thank you. '' I kept smiling like someone stapled the corners of my lips up to my cheeks, but the three girls in front of me didn't seem to notice. They were all at least a meter taller than me and their arms were muscular enough to use people during weightlifting training instead of actual weights.

One of the girls leaned forward from the other side of the table where we were sitting and grinned at me. '' Don't be so nervous. Just call us sisters and make sure to wake up at six am tomorrow, so you can braid our hair and make us pretty for the basketball game of the male convicts. ''

That's right, looks like Rei finally figured out a way to stop getting beaten up by everybody.

'' Six am? Even earlier than the wakeup call from the guards? I can't wait... '' I let out another forced giggle. It was a lot less convincing than my smiling from before, so I knew that I had to add something else to it. I wiped a fake tear from the corner of my eye. '' Sisters. I always wished that I could have a sister- ''

I was about to give a long heartfelt speech about the importance of our sisterhood, when I got interrupted by a guard's scream: '' Han Narae, you have a visitor! He said he's bailing you out! ''

I stood up from my seat and flipped my dark hair over my shoulder before smiling at the three female prisoners that were sitting in front of me. '' Sounds like things are finally looking up for me! Sucks to be you though... Later! ''