"He–" I go to speak, but Von adds another finger into my mouth, presses down onto the back of my tongue, gagging me until I choke. He pulls his fingers out, slick and wet, then allows me to continue speaking. "He didn't have a choice back then–you can't still blame him."

"Everyone has a choice." His fingers move to my throat, and I struggle to get words out before he tightens his grip.

"You're a liar." I squirm under his touch and end up hitting my elbow on the mirror. This places an amused smirk on his face, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me wet. "You even told me I didn't have a choice back then."

"You're an exception."

By now, I can't breathe, let alone speak. He's holding me too tightly. Staring down at me too intently. I'm wet by the sea blue of his eyes and rung by the strong grip of his hands. When he lets go of me, I'm gasping. My hands fall back down to my sides, and I lower my head so that he can't see my red face.

"We trained you on how to shoot, and how to fight, but I never trained you on how to use your mouth, that's why you keep talking back." He's struggling as well; I can see it in his posture. It's hard and restricted, muscles through his thin shirt, veins through his tattooed skin. I panic when he starts to move away from me, and only then do I look up and notice his lustful facial expression. His glassy eyes, his parted lips.

Kiss me. I mouth it, not trusting my own voice. He can't just do something like that and not follow up with something tender.

But that's just what he does. He reaches over and grabs his car keys from beside me. "You still have an hour before you're supposed to be home, but I'm taking you early."

"No."

"You're going early. I want you to still be able to walk at work tomorrow."

I wouldn't mind taking another sick day just for aftercare, but I don't let him know that. I slide off of the wooden dresser and fix the bottom of my dress that had riled up on its own. I'm walking past him and towards the door when he grabs my wrist.

"I care about Seven... a lot. But he needs to think I don't so that he won't get any bright ideas." If Seven took down all three of them, I can see why they'd view him as a threat. Von is keeping his emotions on a short leash in order to control him and it's a method I don't agree with, but I have no say in.

"Also, I'm still going to punish you, little Mia." Von continues, deep voice showing no consideration for how weak I already am. "And when I do, it's going to be for the old and the new."

•••

I should have taken Von's offer and let him fuck me until I couldn't move my legs.

Work is hell today. We received a C from the health inspector, and now Teo is taking his anger out on his only two employees. I've scrubbed countertops until my fingers turned into wrinkly raisins, organized all of our canned goods and toppings by their best by date, and remade a week's worth of dough by hand. Yet he's still complaining.

"Who cleaned the mixer?"

"I did." I perk up, knowing I did a decent job on it.

He places his hand on the very top of the large machine, flicks his wrist in my direction, and sends a heap of flour onto me and onto the floor– that I just swept.

"I can't even see up there!"

"I'll clean it!" Micah chimes in before I say something that will get me fired.

"Good." Teo retires to his office to do whatever paperwork three customers a day could create.

I watch Micah pull out a clean towel and begin cleaning the parts of the machine I was too short to. He sends me a wink once he realizes he has my attention. "Teo is tripping. What do you say we go and let off some steam together after work?"