Chapter 3: Under Attack

I didn't arise until late in the afternoon the following day. I got dressed into my fox red dress and snatched up my bow and quiver. I tied my boots up and ran down the steps to be met with dwarves everywhere. The majority were male, dressed in armour and carrying weapons. I ran to my mother who was packing a large satchel.
'Mother, what is going on?' I asked grabbing her arm.
'We are at war Sylla. Your father is somewhere, go and say farewell.' I peered into her carrier, to see all of her cooking utensils.
'You're not going too!' I cried, hugging her. She stroked my hair and spoke.
'I have to my dear. Someone has to feed these hungry dwarf soldiers.' I snuggled into her like a young child. 'Come now,' she said tenderly, pulling my chin up to look at her. 'I will be back before you know it.' I hugged her once more and said farewell before fleeing to find my father. The minute he saw me, he outstretched his arms. I ran into them and clutched onto him.
'Please don't go, please don't leave. Please father, stay here. You can't go to war.' I cried, tears soaking into his shoulder.
'Hush Sylla, I'll be back before you know it. I have to go, you know I do. But if I have time, I will whittle you a wooden sculpture of one of the great eagles.' He said gently holding me. 'It'll be fine my love, don't cry so hard. Every orc I kill will bring me one step closer home to you, so I will slay as many as I can.' He smiled, looking at me. 'I'll have to take Callyn, he is our only steed, but I'll protect him, don't you fret young one.' He said hugging me tight. Thror strode over to us, Thorin by his side looking unyielding. I was about to fling myself upon Thorin to say goodbye, when Thror began to speak.
'Sylla, I expect you to stay here in Erebor with Thorin and look after my castle. If the dragons of the Grey Mountains catch wind it is empty, they will attack.' I looked at Thorin and gulped. It would be just the two of us together. He was attired in grey and black today, his hair neatly combed and stubble trimmed.
'I can fight.' He persisted.
'I will hear none of it Thorin.' Thror dismissed him with a wave of his hand.

We watched the riders leave for the mountain from the balcony. Thorin put his arm around me; he could see I was upset about the departure of my father. Erebor was so quiet and tranquil without so many dwarves clunking around. He gently rubbed up and down my arm.
'Don't worry my lady, they are brave warriors, they'll be back before we know it. Now how about some food? You have not eaten.' He said. We went into the kitchen but there wasn't much left but bread. 'They've raided the cupboards bare!' He muttered, picking up two rolls for us.
'Stop your complaining and eat it.' I cautioned. I munched thoughtlessly on the bread roll, just gazing out into the distance.
'Let's go to Mirkwood.' I said. Thorin turned.
'What?' He snarled. I looked at him over my shoulder.
'Please Thorin; we can just go to the border of the wood. I want to get out.' He looked at me with worry in his eyes. 'I've got my bow, you've got your sword, if anything happens we can jump on Perego and away we'll go. Please.' He gulped and sighed.
'Alright. But not for long. If Erebor is taken, it is me who gets the beating.' He replied grabbing his hunting jacket and putting it on.

He helped me onto Perego and then he jumped on in front.
'Perego, to Mirkwood.' He cried. Perego reared and then thundered off. I'd never ridden on the back of horse without holding the reins and I began to lose my balance.
'Thorin! Thorin, help!' I screamed.
'It's alright! Hold onto me, you'll be fine!' He yelled back. So I wrapped my arms around his waist and held on for dear life as Perego careered across the plains. I closed my eyes and squealed. 'Stop being such a lady!' He teased, wind blowing through his hair.
'Oh shush you!' I shrieked.

When we finally reached the borders of Mirkwood, I couldn't be gladder to jump off of Perego. That's when I noticed Bludoc was tied up.
'Thorin, I think Airabeth is here....' My heart began to beat rapidly and I bit my lip. Where was she? I ran deeper into the forest.
'Sylla!' Thorin yelled after me, but I ignored him. I pushed past the red mushrooms and the green trees, in desperate search for my friend.
'Airabeth! Airabeth!' I yelled out into the woodland realm, frantically turning round and round. I didn't know where I was. The trees seemed to enclose in on me, they creaked and moaned as if irritated at my presence in their home making such a racket. I was an uninvited guest. 'Airabeth!' I tried to yell out for her, but I was losing my voice and turning dizzy. My eyesight went hazy and I could barely stand. Thorin ran towards me, pulling and grabbed me.
'Sylla!' He yelled, but it was nothing more than a muffled whisper to me. I breathed heavily, in and out. Eventually, I could hear nothing, just my own rasped breathing. Then, I finally blacked out.