Chapter 1: Hijinks

'Sylla! Sylla! Can you come here please?' I heaved my green dress off of my bed and pattered down the spiralling steps. The cold slabs tickled the bottom of my feet and yet I did not shiver. 'Sylla!' my mother cried.
'I'm coming! Goodness gracious, you have no patience!' I called, entering the great dining hall of Erebor. It was a huge room, designed around four great pillars which held it up beneath the rock. A long, greatly embellished table was central, with multiple dishes set upon it. At the head, King Thror was sat, eating meaty mouthfuls of his breakfast and gulping down wine from his great chalice. How someone could pile down so much food at once was beyond me. Sat beside him was Thorin, future King under the mountain, my best friend. I smiled at him and he cheekily winked back. Thror noticed and gave a booming laugh, crimson wine dribbling into his mighty beard. I noticed Thorin trying to hold in his laughter. Thror was fond of my family and treated me like I was the princess of the mountain even though I lacked royal blood. I giggled slightly and then hastily ran into the kitchen. My mother was cleaning plate after plate.
'Good morrow mother.' I said, smiling up at her. She looked down at me and patted my brown hair.
'Sylla, I wanted to tell you that-' She was interrupted by a recognisable voice.
'That your splendid father has whittled you a new bow!' I turned quickly to see him.
'Bofur! You shouldn't spoil such surprises!' My mother scolded. He laughed and handed me the freshly carved bow. My emerald eyes shone. It was curled at the ends where the string was tightly pulled in and was of the finest wood.
'Oh Dilla, she deserves it!' He said, leaning onto the top of his mattock. I stroked the filed wood gently, and looked up at him. His hat was slightly tilted on his head, his hair braided from each side and his smile beaming down on me. I could never love anyone more than my father. 'Go on then! Go and try it! Callyn is waiting in the stables at Dale!' I kissed his cheek and went to leave. 'Oh and Sylla!' I turned and looked at my parents, starry eyed. 'Put on some boots, you aren't a Halfling!' I smirked and ran out, clutching my bow in my hand.

I knocked on the giant gates of Dale.
'Who goes there?' Bellowed a voice. I cleared my throat.
'Sylla daughter of Bofur. I wish to proceed to fetch my pony, Callyn. He is in the stables.' I heard a loud clang and I moved backwards. The gates began to slowly move inward, revealing its contents like a newly opened box. The orange and red buildings glittered like amethyst gems in the sunlight. Children flew their kites high up into the air among the clouds. Merchants tried to tempt settlers into buying newly fashioned robes. I couldn't wish for a better place to be. In a flurry of happiness, I skipped up to the stables and entered. I saw Callyn, chomping away at his hay. As I went to open his pen Airabeth,  the human princess of Dale, swung down from the rafters above.
'How on Earth did you know I was coming?' I asked, astonished.
'Because I'm as magical as the great wizard Gandalf. That's how!' She said, dropping down.
'No, really! How did you know?' I repeated, nudging past her and leading Callyn out of his stable. 'Your father brought Callyn back from his visit to the Blue Mountains.' She said, attempting to pull Bludoc, her chestnut horse, from his stall. He whinnied and almost reared.
'Ah yes, he went to visit my uncle Bombur and second cousin Bifur I believe.' I replied, saddling up Callyn. I climbed onto his back and looked up to see Airabeth trying to get Bludoc to stand still so she could put her saddle upon him. 'You're hopeless!' I cried, as she finally clambered up. 'Not nearly as hopeless as you! Race you to Mirkwood?' I grinned challengingly. Airabeth returned my smile with narrowed eyes. 'Last one there is a rotten mushroom. Callyn, as fast as you can go! Now!' I cried. Callyn neighed and bolted off, Bludoc and Airabeth not far behind.

I could see the trees of Mirkwood towering ahead, as Callyn galloped across the Rohvanion plains. He was remarkably swift for such a small beast, his small yet sturdy legs propelling him across the grasses. I could hear Bludoc, his hooves like thunder, blasting directly behind us. I leaned toward Callyn's right ear.
'Come Callyn, power onward my boy. Find the strength deep within your heart.' I felt him pick up the pace, his gallop became more beated. Suddenly, a flash of white rocketed past me. I turned to see Bludoc was miles behind. In fact, he wasn't even moving. He was grazing! The look on Airabeth's face unforgettable. But then who had been tailing me all this way. I looked onto the horizon at the white creature. Its rider was clad in navy blue and had dark hair which just flowed past the shoulders. Just as soon as he appeared he was gone, into Mirkwood leaving no trail of his previous existence. I was held in my tracks as Bludoc stormed past. I collected my thoughts and pushed Callyn forward.