10

Love is a strong word

Love is a strong word. I've only come to say it to a certain amount of people. The people who deserve it. Like my family, my friends. And now... Jack.

I had been waiting practically my whole life to say it to him, and for him to hopefully say it back. And he did.

After we finished "studying", mom invited Jack to stay for dinner. But he declined, saying his family wanted him home already.

I didn't like it, but understood. Families wanted to be together for dinner.

"Mom,Dad," I start. They look up from their spaghetti.

"Yes Zach?" Mom says.

"Would you have preferred if I was not gay?"

Mom drops her fork and frowns. "What makes you think that?"

I shrug. "Nothing. Just thinking about all the people out there who haven't came out yet just because their families or society won't approve." Of course I was talking about Jack. I didn't think it was fair for him to have to go home to people who do not accept him for what he was. Granted he hasn't told them yet, but he had a reason.

"Well a mature thought for you to have." Dad said.

Ryan looked at me. "Jack's parents doesn't like that he's gay?"

I nodded. "I just don't understand. Everyone was born differently and if they really loved him, they would at least accept him for who he is."

"It's not your problem you need to worry about Zach. As harsh as it sounds. I know that you want to help him but you can't."

What she said was true, but that wasn't enough to stop me from trying.