Prologue

-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-<=>-

The Thunder boomed loudly as lightning filled the angry sky. Any white cloud that would have been seen on a regular day was replaced with dark, foreboding clouds. The unforgivable sea flung the weak and tired Lapras as if it were a limp ragdoll. As for the passenger, she clung to the poor Lapras for her dear life.

The only light that was produced was from the usual bolt of lightning, meaning that neither the Lapras nor the passenger could see well. But the girl tried her best to see. She squinted into the horizon, seeing that the seas have calmed down a bit. She smiled weakly.

But when everything seemed that all would be well, a bolt of lightning struck nearby, scaring the Lapras and casting a silhouette of a huge wave that was heading straight for the girl and her Pokémon.

"Watch out, Lapras!" She yelled, trying to find a more firm grip on the large sea creature. The wave crashed into them almost instantly. The wave threw them around violently, trying to tear them apart.

Finally, the Lapras resurfaced. But the girl was missing from the Pokémon's back. The Pokémon was experienced with people riding his back, so he instinctively sensed the missing presence of the girl. Desperate to find his master, the Turtle-like Pokémon cried out to find her.

Then he heard her screaming about fifteen feet away, "Help me! Hel-" she tried to utter another plea when she was tossed underwater once more.

"Don't worry, I've got you," Lapras wanted to say, but he knew his master would never be able to understand her. Instead, he struggled to swim in the direction the voice came from.

Another cry of help was produced as she regained buoyancy. Another strike of lightning—probably a mile or so away—illuminated the scene, revealing her to be five feet from the Lapras.

"Just hang on! You're almost there," the Pokémon said despite his master's inability to understand. A third strike of lightning appeared and showed the girl to be within arm's reach of him.

"Grab onto me, and don't let go!" Lapras shouted above the chaos that was happening around him. The girl struggled to grab onto the Pokémon's shell with her left hand, let alone stay afloat. She was growing weaker and weaker. She finally gripped onto one of the spikes on Lapras' shell.

But her grip was faltering; Her consciousness wavering. "I can't! I can't hold on much longer." she cried as her fingers began slipping. The girl shot her right hand out of the water to gain another firm grip. As the girl began to pull herself onto the shell of the Water-type Pokémon, the Lapras sensed something approaching them.

It was a massive tidal wave, about fifteen to twenty-five feet tall. It rolled towards them, threatening to end their lives and send them into a cold, wet grave on the bottom of the sea. Turning away to avoid such a catastrophe, the Lapras fought against other small—yet violent—waves, away from the ginormous wave.

But it was too late. The wave was closing in on them, causing the Lapras to panic. The girl, who was almost unconscious and barely strong enough to hold on, didn't sense her pending doom.

As it slammed down onto the duo, they were both sent into a blind, disorienting torrent of water, thrown to and fro, until they couldn't tell North from South or East from West.

When the Lapras could see again, he saw that the sea around him was calm. He looked up to see that they were in the eye of the storm.

And then he remembered his master. She wasn't on his back anymore. In fact, he couldn't see her for miles in any direction. As his searching became more frantic, he thought he saw a sliver of black some distance away to his right.

Land.

He realized that there was almost no way his master could have survived the tidal wave in her condition. All he could do now was abandon the girl and head for the black sliver of hope on the horizon.