15 / Crystallized

"I'm gonna warn you right now, my parents don't have money and my house is not extravagant" David looked over at Maddy, who was walking next to him.

"Oh shit, really? I gotta go then" Maddy joked, taking the luggage she was pulling and turning around. "David, I don't care what your house looks like. I mean, I care because i'm excited to see where you grew up, but you know what I mean"

David smiled. A week after meeting Maddy's parents, David had decided to go back to Chicago and invited Maddy to come with him. She had clearly agreed.

"I hope you like it there, though"

"I will"

A few hours later, David's dad came to pick David and Maddy up from the airport. He bantered with Maddy about how much better her videos were than David's, and the two made fun of David for his old vines. David felt relieved seeing Maddy get along immediately with his dad.

The same thing happened when Maddy met David's mom and siblings. They were all excited to meet her, and Maddy immediately sat and listened to David's families stories without saying a word about herself.

"So, Maddy, tell us about you" Mr. Dobrik finally said.

"Oh, I'm pretty boring" Maddy laughed.

"You are not boring, tell us some things you like!"

"Dad what the hell?" David laughed.

"I want to get to know Maddy!"

"Hmmm..." Maddy said, thinking. "I like reading, I really like animals, I love learning about history, I used to love surfing but I haven't done that in a while"

"So why are you dating David?" Mr. Dobrik laughed. "You are so... well rounded!"

Maddy laughed causing David to cross his arms and roll his eyes. The Dobriks asked Maddy more questions about herself, living in New York, her youtube, and everything in between.

"I think we're gonna head to Ilya's place" David finally said.

"Do you have to? I am enjoying talking with Maddy" Mrs. Dobrik said.

"I'll bring her back, I promise"

Maddy and David went out to the car, driving over to Ilya's place where Maddy would be meeting the rest of his friends from home. Maddy immediately fit into the group. They all commented to David about how they loved her and how cool she was.

"She's the one, dude" Ilya drunkenly said to David, who was completely sober.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, and if she's not your one she's gonna be someone else's one and you're gonna fuckin regret it"

"I feel like that was a threat" David laughed, putting his hands up. Ilya shrugged and finished his beer.

Maddy, who had only had 3 drinks, was ready to leave when David asked at around 10:30.

"Do you want to go home, or do you want me to take you on a proper suburban night out?"

"Show me around!" A slightly tipsy Maddy said, throwing her arms out to the side as she walked towards David's car.

David smiled and drove Maddy around, stopping for late night Wendy's, driving all around town pointing things out. He drove her to his high school, sitting in the parking lot where they exchanged stories about their high school experiences. They eventually ended up in a park.

"Everyone used to smoke weed in this park" David said, getting out of the car and taking Maddy's hand.

"How romantic!"

David walked to a swing set, where David and Maddy both sat talking for about an hour, debating whether or not they would have dated if they went to the same high school. They came to the conclusion that they wouldn't have at the beginning of high school, but maybe towards the end after they both got their braces off. They showed each other pictures of their younger selves, talked about their favorite foods growing up, and even about their old crushes.

"Sorry my hometown is so lame compared to yours"

"This isn't lame! This is so cool, it's like an actual community."

David smiled at Maddy.

"You're really fucking cool, Maddy"

"Stop, you're gonna make me blush"

"No, really, I love spending time with you.. you're just really cool and humble"

Maddy reached over and took David's hand.

"I'm gonna be honest..." Maddy looked into David's eyes. He looked back lovingly. "Kendrick Lamar taught me that"

"God, fuck you" David laughed, dropping Maddy's hand. "It's like you're incapable of having moments last too long"

"Get used to it" Maddy grinned. "You know this means the world to me though, taking me home and introducing me to your family and friends and showing me your hometown"

David smiled.

"You like them?"

"I love them all, they're so cool. Especially your family. They're so welcoming, they're amazing"

"They're alright" David laughed, looking at the ground. "Thanks for not like, judging any of this"

"Why would I judge anything?" Maddy asked, looking confused.

"I mean, you come from a pretty different background"

"The shittiest people I know live in penthouses in Manhattan, if i'm judging anyone it's them"

David moved his swing sideways and kissed Maddy on the head.

"What was that for?" Maddy asked.

"Just for being you"

-----

Sorry that I haven't updated in like 4 days, I didn't realize how long it's been since I updated!!!