7 / A Little Honey

David agreed to pick Maddy up at 7pm to see a movie.

"We haven't even established mutual interest. I have no clue what this is" Maddy said on the phone to her mom as she heard a knock at her apartment door. "Oh god, Mom, he's here. I'll talk to you later" She said, hanging up the phone.

She grabbed her bag and opened the door, greeting David with a hug and following him out to his car. They joked the entire way to the movies and Maddy let David buy her ticket since she knew it would be harder to fight than to just accept it. After all, David always insisted on paying. The two saw the movie without any interaction. Maddy was still confused about what was going on and wondered if Liza and Heath had mis-interpreted the entire situation. The two discussed the movie and got into David's car.

"Wanna go to my place and hang out for a little?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure" Maddy said.

David began to drive, and eventually turned down the radio.

"So i'm assuming Liza talked to you too?"

There it is. Maddy thought.

"Yes" Maddy laughed.

"Any thoughts on that?"

"I... was surprised because I didn't know if you actually felt like that"

"I told you I loved you"

"I thought that was just a drunk thing"

"I wondered why you never brought that up"

"I thought it would be weird if I brought it up and you didn't mean it"

David laughed.

"So... I still don't know how you feel about, like, this" David said after a moment.

"Well I agreed to go on a date with you, didn't I?" Maddy shrugged, smiling a little.

"So that was a date?"

"Well if you consider that you didn't try to pull any moves, maybe not" Maddy teased.

"Oh come on, if you didn't think it was a date do you know how fucking weird it would have been if I had just put my arm around you?"

"KING of consent"

They both laughed.

"So I should have done something?" David asked.

"I mean, you definitely could have"

"Cool" David smiled.

They got to David's house and went inside. David grabbed two beers from his fridge and handed one to Maddy.

"So..." Maddy said.

"Did you know I had a huge crush on you like a year before I started dating Liza?" David blurted out.

Maddy raised her eyebrows.

"You did?"

"Yeah, but you were dating your ex so I got over it pretty quickly. But the first time I met you and when we both first moved out to LA I thought you were so cute"

"I get that a lot" Maddy said, tossing her head back and flipping her hair behind her on the couch.

David laughed and playfully smacked Maddy on the arm.

"If we're being bold then I think I started looking at you differently when I saw that Liza had a new boyfriend." Maddy said, turning her body towards David and propping her elbow on the back of her couch and her head in her hand.

"This isn't weird, is it?"

"Objectively? It's probably weird" Maddy laughed.

"Should we just see where this takes us?"

Maddy thought for a minute.

"I think we should talk a little more, but yeah"

"Ok, what should we talk about?"

"Can I ask you some brutally honest stuff?"

"Sure"

"Are you really over Liza?"

"Yes"

"100%?"

"I don't know that you can be 100% over someone until you're 100% into somebody else. But I can tell you that I don't miss her like that anymore"

Maddy nodded.

"Even if she broke up with Keegan and wanted to get back together, I wouldn't want to do it. I learned so much from that relationship and yeah, it was awesome, but ultimately it wasn't going to work out. It didn't end badly, but it didn't work out" David continued.

"What happens if this just doesn't work out between us, though? We've been friends for so long"

"Maddy, can I be honest?"

"Yes"

"I don't know. But I think if we're into each other our friendship is never going to be the same way it was. And I think we have as much of a chance of destroying it by not doing anything as we do by doing something. I think we made it clear we both want more."

"That was kind of poetic" Maddy laughed.

"Thank you"

The two sat in silence for a minute. David eventually moved a little closer to Maddy, and Maddy moved closer in return. The two looked at each other for a moment before bursting out laughing. They both laughed for a while before David leaned in and kissed Maddy. She kissed him back. They pulled apart.

"Surprisingly not weird" David said, looking up. Maddy pretended to smack him, as he curled up to dodge her hand.

The two made out on the couch for a little.

"I think we should take things slow" Maddy said.

"Ok, I mean, that makes sense" David said, laying back on his couch.

"Are you gonna tell anyone that we made out?" Maddy asked.

David looked up for a moment, thinking.

"I'd prefer not to. No sense in having everyone in our business"

Maddy smiled.

"Good"

"Good"

I need you baby
More than you'll ever, ever know
What keeps you waiting?
Let's take our time just moving slow
(A Little Honey - Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats)

-----

Nobody is reading this but I felt the need to update so enjoy