20. Narrow Escape

Start from the beginning

"But at first I need you to be very quiet," I said. "There is someone who is trying to find me to persuade me to give a considerable donation to their... academic institution... and they are not being very pleasant about it. They must have bribed someone to get into the building. I happened to notice them arriving when I was walking to the lobby. Couldn't sleep, you see... imagining how much money I now have..."

Miss Lottery giggled slightly and placed her finger to her lips.

"Sssssh..." she said and tried very hard not to laugh.

The sound of Black Lady's high heels were subdued now, as the corridor was carpeted, but you could still hear her walking. She passed the door and headed for mine. When she passed Miss Lottery's door, it was as if the air grew colder, and there was a definite feeling of fear that filled the room. Even Miss Lottery felt it and stepped backwards away from it. She opened her mouth to say something but I slid my hand across my neck and she snapped her mouth shut.

There was a knock on my door not far away. Then, after a while, another knock. And then slight metallic sounds followed by a crack – I knew they had broken into my room.

It did not take long for the steps to walk back towards the lobby.

"Find her!" a familiar voice hissed.

Miss Lottery froze to the spot and was about to drop her champagne glass. I caught it just in time.

When it was quiet again, I sighed.

"You heard that too?" I asked Miss Lottery. "That they broke into my room?"

"Yes..." she seemed to have sobered up pretty quickly.

"Ok. So you definitely don't forward her calls on to me, right?" I said. "She was there at my home when you appeared with the Lottery Van, and immediately threatened me if I didn't give her a donation."

I never knew I was that good at lying – but then again Miss Lottery's brains weren't at their sharpest right then. And so she did not find my explanation illogical. As if there had been any time for the Black Lady to say a word to me before Miss Lottery had announced my name.

"What... what's her name...?" Miss Lottery sat on the sofa.

I realized I didn't have a clue. 

"I'll let you know later so you can write it on your list. You wouldn't remember it in the morning if I told you now. And on that subject, what's your name?" I steered the discussion in another direction.

"Elaine..." she managed to say. I waited but no family name followed.

"Elaine. Right. Now, you don't mind me staying in your room until the morning? I daren't go back to my room anymore and I need to have a serious talk about the safety of this place when morning comes..."

"No, of course I don't mind. Do stay," Elaine managed a rather weak smile.

"I have to put out the lights, in case they look in the windows to see who is awake," I said and went to switch off the lights. I noticed three dead flies on the floor.

"Congratulations, George!" I mumbled.

If one dead fly meant one good deed, George had killed three flies in one go. Saving me, obviously... maybe helping the cursed soul of the Egyptian girl as well? And the third? Could it have something to do with Miss Lottery?

I tiptoed back towards the window, staying in the shadows. I caught a last glimpse of the Black Lady walking out of the building, tailed by three muscular young men, probably the same ones who had been at our house. Not a guard was in sight.