Chapter 9: A New Home Over The Old One

Three Weeks Later. . .

***********************************

Bellamy:

The group had been working on rebuilding the camp since the day we got back to it. I had begged and begged Clarke to let me get up and help, but she refused. I even snuck out of the dropship a few times but she caught me every time and had since begun to switch off and on with Octavia to basically babysit me.

Clarke had finally taken the stitches out of my side and back a week ago, but she still worried that the wound could "pop back open" if I wasn't careful, so she still wouldn't let me out of the ship. . . that is, until today, when I had finally bugged her enough to get her to let me help. . . carefully of course. She came in to check on me like she always did. "How are you feeling?" I laughed, wincing slightly at the slight burning in my side. It wasn't completely healed but I felt a hell of a lot better than the day after it happened.

"Like a sitting duck. I should be out there helping. I'll be careful, I promise." She sighed and leaned against me as I sat up.

"I just don't think it's a good idea yet, Bellamy. You're still healing." I wrapped an arm around her shoulders, absentmindedly playing with a piece of her hair.

"I won't over-do it, I swear. And I don't want you to worry about me. I'll be fine." She sighed again and rested her head on my shoulder.

"Fine. But just remember that three weeks ago you had a hole the size of a golf ball torn all the way through your body. And I swear if I see you 'over-do it' I'll drag you back in here, kicking and screaming, and tie you to this table." I chuckled.

"Don't tempt me, Princess." She laughed and covered her face as it turned a deep shade of red. I put my other arm around the front of her, clasping my hands together on her shoulder and kissed her cheek. "Love you." She kept her face covered, still laughing as joked with her. When she finally took her hands away she had tears in her eyes and running down her face. She wiped them away as she finally calmed down.

"You know what I meant, Bellamy." I nodded, laughed, and nudged her with my elbow as I stood up, ready to leave the tent and get to work. Clarke followed and when we got outside I finally realized just how much had gotten done while I was laid up. The walls were almost completely finished, having been most likely the first thing to be done since what was left of the grounders were still out there. I stopped in the middle of camp and turned back to Clarke.

"So what're my restrictions, Princess?" She smiled, sliding her hands into mine, thinking. She dropped my hands and moved hers to cup both sides of my face as she spoke, pulling my face to hers.

"No heavy lifting for a while. And once again. . . take it easy." I nodded and pulled her hands away from my face and using her arms to pull her into me as I kissed her forehead.

"You know I will." She smiled and nodded just as she was called away to tend to a small injury in the dropship.

Clarke:

I turned around for one last glance at Bellamy before I went into the dropship. I watched him as he walked over to the unfinished wall and picked up a board and holding it in place for Monty to secure it. I yawned as I turned to pull the curtain aside at the entrance of the dropship. I was more tired than I'd let myself or anyone else believe. I'd spent almost every night for three weeks lying awake, worrying myself sick. Either about Bellamy, the camp, or the threat of an impending attack from the Grounders. Now that Bellamy was on the mend, I could finally let myself relax enough to sleep for a few hours. Darkness overtook me almost before I had even set my head on the backpack I'd been using as a pillow.

When I woke up, Bellamy was sitting next to me, a concerned look turning to joy as I rubbed at my eyes groggily. "Bellamy? What's wrong?" He cocked his head to one side, obviously confused. "What? How long did I sleep?"

"You were out for three days, Clarke. We were starting to worry." I rolled onto my side, resting my head on his knee, which was propped up on the side of the table where I lay. Bellamy laid a hand on my head, running his hand over my hair.

"Oh. Well why didn't you just wake me?"

"We tried, but you never woke up. We thought you were dying." I looked up at him and watched his expression turn from joy at seeing me awake to sadness.

"I'm sorry, Bell. I just haven't slept in weeks. . . "

"It's okay. You're awake now. " He smiled at me and I returned it, propping myself up on my elbows before swinging my feet over the edge of the table and jumping down and walking over to the water bucket. I dunked my hands into the cool water and splashed it up and over my face. I dried my face with the hem of my shirt, feeling warm hands slide around my bare waist as I did so. Bellamy's voice filled my right ear and I could feel his breath, warm against my cheek. "You think we'll be safe here this time?. . .I mean. . . With all the Grounders dead?" I leaned my head back against his shoulder, dropping my shirt over his hands.

"I don't know. I hope so. We don't know that there aren't more Grounders out there. Some peace would be nice though. We could all get on with our lives." I could feel him sigh as he nodded, taking in what I had said.

"Yeah. You're right."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short chapter, sorry. But I desperately needed to update, so I did. :D