Chapter 13- A Shining Hope On The Horizon

Chirping birds had brought me out of my peaceful slumber, rubbing my eyes to get rid of any remaining sleep on them I let out a small groan, sitting myself up on my elbows as I watched the 'Gladers around me get ready for their day.

A small noise to my right made me snap my head around to witness Chuck gently stirring as he pushed back his cover.

"Morning Chuck" I whispered not wanting to wake the other Gladers who were stationed around the Maze entrance, a few boys were already up and were sitting silently on their sleeping bags, their eyes riveted to the Maze so they wouldn't miss anything when the doors open.

"Morning"  Chuck responded rubbing his eyes before he took a quick glance around the sea of sleeping bags.

"Were you on watch?" He inquired raising both eyebrows as he propped himself up onto his elbows before he fixed me an puzzled stare as though me not being on watch was the most strangest thing he had ever seen in his whole life.

"Yeah I was" I clarified, "Was up at 5 until 6" I continued running a hand through my messy (y/h/c) locks.

Scoffing Chuck sat himself fully up, "Wow I was at 4 until 5 so I guess i could of saw you when I finished staring at a wall for an hour" He mocked mimicking a certain Glader's voice.

Rolling my eyes I lightly punched the younger boy in the arm before I forcefully hauled myself onto my knees pushing strands of hair out my eyes as I darted around each boy examining their body position.

"So What's on the agenda for me today?" I mocked using my hands to steady myself as I continued to watch the boys all staring at the Maze with spiritless expressions as though they lacked any emotion.

Groaning Chuck planted his hand on his stomach, he took a swift glimpse at me before he returned his eyes to his stomach.

"Something wrong?" I asked narrowing my eyes to slits as I examined Chuck's condition, his right hand was placed over his stomach as he repeatedly let out a groan every few seconds.

"Nah It's fine (Y/n)" Chuck explained, "I'm probably just a bit hungry. Come on let's grab some food from Fry" He continued letting out a final groan as he stood fully up indicating that I should do the same.

Grinning I pushed off using my hands as my body was lifted onto the air as though It was being pulled by some unknown force.

"I hear a plate of food calling my name" I joked as the two of us made our way over to Fry, the sudden urge for food crawling within the very depths of our stomachs.

*****

"You guys have heard nothing?" Fry questioned sliding an shiny red apple and a sandwich our way as he dried his grease coated hands on his sheet white apron.

Shaking my head from side to side I clasped my hands over the apple, lifting it off the hard, solid oak table before holding it in front of my face.

"Nothing at all the doors have been like that all night and mostly all morning "I added opening my mouth to take a bite of the apple as the luscious juicy taste exploded in my mouth making me smile in delight.

"Weird" Frypan suddenly replied interrupting my wonderful feast, "They should be back soon, well, If they ya know If they return".

Nodding I tightened my lips together, placing the apple back down on the table.

"Why did the Greenie decide to run into the Maze!" Chuck declared sucking in a large breath before gently exhaling through parted lips, "I mean what the shuck was he thinking!" He exclaimed echoing Daniel's words from yesterday.