Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Alice took a deep breath, and took her father's arm. They started to walk down the aisle. She looked around wildly at the crowd staring at her, trying not to breathe out loud. Her heartbeat drowned out all other sounds. Nerves made her jittery, and she tried not to shake. She looked up through her veil and saw Charles. He was waiting for her. He smiled, and in turn, Alice swallowed, terrified.

The wedding had been delayed for a month.

Alice had not spoken, had not slept, and had not eaten. She was like a ghost, roaming around the large hallways of the manor: pale, cold, and silent. Her mother beat her more fiercely, and the maids would notice the large bruises on her face and pretend not to notice, smiling when she looked at them. Mrs. Tutmore blamed her daughter for Melody's death.

Alice had let her. 

Alice gripped her father's arm tightly. They were showered with petals by the young girls, and they arrived at the church altar. Alice faced Charles, and they joined hands. Charles was enraptured by her beauty; the shimmering silver of her gown brought out her dark eyes and her long raven-black hair. 

She began to feel faint. She was absolutely dreading the wedding night. The pain must be unimaginable - her governess had told her what to do, but she was still shaking at the thought of it. She felt herself go red.

The priest droned on, but Alice did not listen. Instead she fought back tears and stayed silently by her husband's side.

Now came the moment. Charles lifted her veil, looked into her eyes with a gentle smile, and kissed her lips. Her heart beat quickly. She heard clapping all around, and he took her hand and began to descend the steps.

The church bells rang out the joyous news of their wedding, and snowflakes swirled around them. Charles helped her into her spot in the carriage, and he followed her in. They both waved, but it was only Charles that smiled.

The horses pulled the carriage away from the church, and Charles put the hood up so the snow would not fall on them.

Alice sensed Charles's eyes on her face. She looked at him questioningly.

"You are so quiet, so unsmiling," he said in concern. "My love, is there anything wrong?"

She gave him what she thought was a reassuring smile. "Charles, do not worry yourself. I am fine."

He took her hand. "We are just married, you should be happy," he said.

"I am happy, Charles. I am happy because I am finally with you."

She saw the colour faintly flood his cheeks and he grinned. "I am happy, too."

                         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maid's dainty hands unclasped her necklace. Alice heard a knock at the door, and she said, "Come in."

A dark head peeked in, and a body followed. The door was closed gently. Alice turned around, her head held high in annoyance. She knew not why she had visitors at this hour.

Then she saw his face, and she was taken by surprise.

"Good evening, Alice. Dear, sweet sister-in-law." He flashed a grin, and Alice felt her heartbeat quicken.

She curtseyed with as much dignity she could muster, being in her nightrobe and nightgown. "You must be Thomas. My brother-in-law."

"Indeed I am." He leaned his side against the wall, folding his arms. His posture suggested casualty and self-importance. "I am sorry for this strange meeting, but I felt that I must introduce myself to you sooner than later. And how do you fare this evening?"

Alice suppressed a sigh of frustration. "Dear brother, I am late for my bedtime. Are you here on any terms of importance, or only to create idle chit-chat?" She was shocked at her own rudeness, but something made her hold her pride.

He did not show any signs of offence; only a mild smile. "I am very sorry, Alice. I did not mean to intrude. I only meant to ask how my brother's new wife was well and in good spirits. Well, goodnight. Make my brother happy with his new bedmate." He winked, and in a flash, was gone.

Alice's cheeks were flaming in fury. The nerve of that man! And he was her brother-in-law, goodness!

Alice took a calming breath and picked up her hairbrush, then handed it to the maid. She undid her hair, and the brush was pulled through her dark locks. 

There was once again a knock at her door. Charles's mother's maid peeped her head in. "I'm sorry to interrupt, madam," she said quietly, "but they are ready."

Alice felt her stomach leap up to her throat. Her heart was beating terribly fast. She turned her head around to the maid, her hands clasped tightly together. "I am ready as well."

"Please, madam." The maid gestured outside.

Alice walked like a ghost along the hallways, following the maid. Her maid was behind her. After a few turns, they ended up at a large door at the end of the hallway. This was it. She could not go back. Terror urged her to flee, but she suppressed it.

The maid knocked on the door, and it was opened by Charles's mother. She looked at Alice, her face kind and full of concern. "Are you ready, my dear?"

Alice barely nodded. She was feeling faint.

Mrs. Locke took her hand and led her into the dimly-lit room. Waiting there was Mr. Locke, Thomas, two maids, and Charles. Alice caught Thomas's eyes and he smirked. She kept her eyes down. 

"Good evening, Alice," Mr. Locke said. "Shall we start?"

"Of course." Her voice sounded much stronger than she felt.

Charles took her cold hand in his large warm one, and they kneeled in front of the Locke parents. They gave them their blessing. The maids pulled back the bedcovers, and everyone left. It was only Alice and her husband in the room, the large bed, and the crackling fire.

They went around the opposite sides of the bed and climbed in. Alice was shaking with fright. She felt her husband's body next to her in the bed, which made her even more nervous.

It was only the firelight that cast a faint glow of warmth over the room. There was silence.

"Don't be afraid, Alice." Charles took her dainty hand in his.

"Why do you say that?" Her voice was high and thin.

"I can feel you shaking, my love. Don't worry." He turned his face to hers, and there was warmth and kindness in his expression. "I will be gentle. I promise."

Alice nodded, unable to speak.

The candles were blown out.