10: Taki

It got easier after we decided to let ourselves be more vulnerable around each other. One event is enough to start changing things-I should have known that for a long time by now.

Still, my stomach twists in this funny feeling whenever I recalled the mess that I was when I had desperately gotten up from my office seat and thrown open the door, praying that she hadn't walked too far away from me. My voice had been high pitched and unusually strained, and when I sat back down in a daze after the whole ordeal had finished, I was flabbergasted to see my shirt untucked from my dress pants. She saw all of that mess, and although I manage to convince myself the outcome made up for the unfortunately embarrassing means, I still cringe inwardly when the event flashes past my mind in teasing whispers.

After a few months of familiarity with her, my mind no longer froze after seeing Mitsuha in the workplace. The roaring tide which churned through my veins was now reduced to a mere hum, although I still found heat crawling up my neck every time despite a calm visage. If Mitsuha ever noticed my discomfort, she never indicated any awareness; for that, I was extremely grateful.

Words that had piled coldly inside slowly thawed outwards. Friendship provided for that miracle, and the conversations that we would stumble into grew lengthier and more diverse in content. We fed each other details about ourselves at first in appetizing little morsels, which then progressed into larger shares.

Being in the same workplace, we often grabbed lunch together or commuted home during the first leg of the train station. Italian is Mitsuha's favorite, I had noted during the company's first group dinner since she joined. But because Italian restaurants, single men and single women, and rosy dinners together spelled out incredibly obvious intents, I backed out from returning there, though it always caught my eye when I passed by.

Time is a funny little creature that crawls when it wants to, walks on normal days, skips when it is happy, and also runs whenever pleases it. This I was the most aware of.

The project has been making exponential progress in the past week, and I could spot the flickering candle of conclusion within sight. The amount of supervision the design team had over the actual construction of the memorial would be greater than other sections in the company, but it was still not great. There would be no reason for us to meet anymore.

Just like the way our commute home brings us together for one leg of the journey, it also inevitably separates us when our destination arrives.

Staring out at the whir of buses and cars passing by, I was brought back by the outstretch of a familiar hand.

"Earth to Taki! Hello?"

I smiled with a slant of my lips. "Yes, Mitsuha?"

"I've been trying to talk to you for at least a minute now but I bet you didn't hear a word that I said."

I threw another glance outside sheepishly. "You're right. Sorry."

By my side, Kacey tittered. "Mitsuha dear, please go back to explaining your plans next month once your work at the office wraps up."

An irritated feeling welled up inside me with a familiarity that I have associated with Kacey for a while now. If her nosy ways hadn't personally bothered me before, then it definitely did after Mitsuha expressed her mild distaste for her treatment as a breathing gallery free for Kacey to breeze and flip through her memories of Itomori.

She also had a nasty habit of clinging onto our lunch outings.

But wait. What did she just say?

Peering at Mitsuha for answers, I saw her fiddle with a lock of hair consciously. "Well...nothing's been confirmed, but I was thinking about going back to Itomori for a while. After taking a few years' worth of break from residing there, I feel like I need to go back now that I've become a changed person."

Kacey, as usual, nodded enthusiastically as her favorite observation subject paused. I gripped my armchair until the entirety of my hands went cold with lack of circulation. Breathing felt too difficult.

I didn't want to lose her again.

Suddenly, our eyes met from across the table. Within that second, a variety of things happened. I didn't have enough time or composure to mask my pained expression, and Mitsuha hadn't been prepared to see me unraveled. Her eyebrows visibly carried her sadness in an understanding of all that had happened, and what hadn't happened, between us.

Neither of us were stupid enough to miss the tension that had been building between us, a taut string lingering between friendship and something more.

"Anyways," Mitsuha continued, once the three of us started to sit in our own silence. "You guys have helped me tremendously. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't find the company to be frustrating to work at during some days, but my gratitude for all that I've learned under Mr. Tanaka and all of you guys is as genuine as everything I have to offer."

"Oh!" Kacey wailed, throwing her arms around Mitsuha forcefully. "You've been such a dear to work with, and I know that I can be...a little too motherly sometimes but we all love you too! Right, Taki?"

I hadn't taken my gaze off of Mitsuha since she began speaking. If only human gaze could peer straight into the future to see what was in store for all of us. For the both of us. I wish my sadness didn't exist.

"Yes." The word came out softly from my mouth. "It's almost been like a dream working with you again. I can't thank you enough for giving me the architectural experience for something as monumental as the Itomori Memorial."

Mitsuha looked straight back at me, searching my eyes. But I wouldn't cave under again. I had plenty of time with her. Some things were meant to be let go of, and my pain was one of them. There was no saying that our paths won't cross in the future.

"Again?" Kacey frowned, oblivious to my pain.

I smiled at her. "Shall we eat?" Gesturing at the food that sat perfectly untouched, I ushered my table friends towards a new conversation.

Towards a new chapter of our lives.

-----------
Heyo! Thanks for reading, friends. I hope you noticed a few patterns writing-wise from the past chapter of Mitsuha and this one of Taki. The point is that although they're obviously two different individuals with vastly different upbringings, ultimately, the emotions that we have as humans are universally the same. It doesn't matter if fate mandated the damaged, wary way that they think: feelings demand to be felt.

If that wasn't deep enough, then let me just impart one thing...I'm working on wrapping up this story! Thank you so so much for all your patience. This ending is long overdue and I wouldn't be surprised if original readers of when this first published don't exist anymore.

Until next time, mis amigos.