7: Mitsuha

Something in my chest had sank a little, seeing him so doggedly walking away from me. Although I maintained a blank expression, I was surprised by my own sense of loss at Taki's rejecting back.

Flopping down on my pillow, I stared at the yellowed ceiling of the apartment. The street lamps outside and the sounds of occasional cars passing by lent the evening a rather lonely tone. Shadowy thoughts crowded for volume in my brain, none too positive or relieving. I breathed in the scent of my shampoo, a fruity concoction, allowing it to anchor me just a little bit.

You did this to him, remember?

Without effort, my mind recalled the scene that had already replayed ten times.

"Ah that is my friend Taki, Mitsuha-san. He had been...feeling unwell since the beginning of this meeting but I'm sure he would have contributed more on the topic of Itomori. He has personal connections, you see."

The man who introduced himself as Matsume apologetically gestured, clearly feeling obligated to explain his friend's behavior. I tilted my head at the oddness of his last sentence, inviting further explanation. Of course I knew exactly what he was referring to, but I was curious to hear Taki's method in leafing through the complicated, supernatural aspects of his story and presenting the barest details to a well regarded acquaintance. To someone who could never understand what truly transpired eight years ago.

I studied Matsume's face lightly, regarding him neutrally. In a way, I'm just as much of a vague "someone" as this stranger. I don't confess to understanding Taki as a person. Neither of us were ever there with each other, able to physically support each other ironically because we switched bodies.

Matsume suddenly shifted on his feet, looking rather lost for words. He appeared uncomfortable, and it occurred to me that his expressions were very easy to read. Honest. "Well...you see, this is a rather, um, personal topic so you should directly approach him about this." He added, almost as an afterthought, "His family was somehow affected."

I nodded encouragingly. "I would delight to talk with him in the future. Thank you for letting me know about him." Eyeing the way Mr. Tanaka was making his way over with a cup in hand, I extended a hand out to Matsume, who shook it without hesitation. "Thank you for having me today. Now if you'll excuse me..."

The truth was that I had stayed by the waiting area afterwards, the one near the restrooms, hoping to catch a glimpse of Taki. But my feet had led me towards the door seconds later, my mind finally wrapped up in the unwanted consequences of awkward conversation that would surely ensue.

There will be more time to talk to him, I reassured myself.

With that thought, I buried my head in my covers and permitted sleep to steal my conscience from me for a few peaceful hours.