2: Mitsuha's POV

Warning: very, very mild use of inappropriate language. Just wanted to put this out here in case any of you weren't expecting it from this fan fiction. Also, some visual advertisement of my favorite male celebrity/athlete named Yuzuru Hanyu (who I mentioned briefly in the chapter hehehehe) because I want to congratulate him on his sweeping win at NHK Trophy!! Wishing him good luck at Marseilles. Enjoy...? !!

     I was running late.

My heart pounded in sync to the sound of my feet on the asphalt of a crowded street in Tokyo. My heels ached and grated against the soles of the nude-peach sandals I purchased only two days prior. They were not meant to endure intensive running. Already, the crisp, beautiful edges of the sandals seemed ten years older than they had in the store.

I was running late.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" A man grumbled after I collided with his left shoulder. I threw back a "Sorry!" sheepishly as I continued briskly making my way down the street. Where was this cafe?

More importantly, why was I so bad at following directions? Taki sent me a clear cut message laying out the necessary travels I needed to make from my apartment to the doorsteps of a new cafe that Taki suggested as our place of meeting. Our coffee date, if you will. I shoved aside the twinge of excitement as my eyes scanned the surrounding area.

Ah! Found it!

The cafe was snugly fit between other food stores. It was delightfully designed, with honey colored windows and wall-hugging vines that framed the picturesque hub for daily goers of all ages. Small, but visually efficient. I had to say that I was quite honestly impressed with Taki's recommendation.

     As I stepped across the threshold to the relaxingly dimmed lights inside, I self consciously straightened my summer dress and retied my ribbon so it looked as clean as possible. I drew in a deep breath and blew it out quietly, eyes searching across the room of tables and drinks.

     Ah. There he was.

     I found him tucked in a peaceful little corner, a booth comfortable and accommodating for the two of us. He had his back to me, busy looking over presumably the menu. Occasionally, he would check his watch.

     Swiftly, before he noticed me, I quietly snuck up behind him and held my breath. "Boo." I popped into his peripheral vision with a bright smile on my face. He blinked in surprise.

     Before I registered it, his arms wrapped around me in a warm embrace as I heard a sigh of relief. "I thought you weren't coming." He admitted, lips too close to my right ear for comfort. I felt my cheeks prickle with heat and my heart thunder inside me.

     I weakly apologized in his embrace, painfully aware of the stares we were garnering at our open expression of friendliness. Or whatever this was.

     I mentally bashed myself at that last note.

     Suddenly, Taki pulled away from me and offered a formal bow. When he came up, I was humbled to see a slightly embarrassed face and pink ears. "Excuse my poor behavior, Miss Mitsuha." He gestured with an open hand towards the booth. "Please, sit down."

     I bowed in his direction as well. "Thank you for your invitation today. I also must apologize for arriving late." Taki dismissively accepted my apology and sat down promptly after me. We now sat across from each other, forcing an awkwardness to ensue that had never happened before.

     Taki softly smiled. "You look great today." I looked down, feeling shy. "Err, please feel free to look at the menu as you wish. The bill's on me today."