ch36

A full week has passed. 

Today is the 7th day since Devon has left and I have been on autopilot mode for all this time. On the outside I still played the role that everyone knew, but on the inside was were the change stood. 

To say I miss him would be an understatement because it felt so much more than that. I had an emptiness that has been created in the middle of my chest, a hollow spot that stays empty and doesn't seem to go away. It holds memories and images and emotions that I have done my best not to revisit for a week. It was best to just let it be and move on. 

That wasn't getting me nowhere though. Classes turned to be harder when an empty chair was at the back of the class while I returned to my old seat. I did look over my shoulder when the bell would ring and I don't know why. Maybe I thought he'd magically reappear in his seat, slouched down with his hair down, maybe even the hoodie back on. 

Also talks about the missing student were going on all the time, whispers about where he might have gone, speculations about the reason for his leave, it was becoming too much for me, but I stayed quiet and did my best to ignore it. 

Abby had settled with my explanation that he went away because of a family business and she didn't ask further questions. 

Lunch was the hardest part of the day. Sitting at our table, but now just me was painful. I couldn't explain where the pain came from, but it was there. I took his seat, probably because I needed some kind of comfort or some sorts of acceptance that Devon wasn't coming back. He was gone and I was alone once again. 

My parents knew me well. They did notice that I have shrunk into myself and they knew it was because of my absent friend. It was the same cycle as when Trish left, at least that's how it looked on the outside, but on the inside it felt different. 

I had felt lost, I had felt lonely when she had gone, but knowing that I could talk to her and see her from time to time I think helped me cope with her move better. Devon, however, was another story. He just stepped out of my life and shut the door on me. Literally.

I kept my word to him, I did what I said I would. After a day I had texted him, asking him if he had settled back alright and how was Diana. I received silence. A couple of days later I tried calling him. Still nothing. I would be sent to voicemail where first I left messages, apologizing for bothering him before asking him how he was. Not once did he call me back and I know that this pushed me further into hurt. 

Devon was ignoring me and I had no way of knowing if he did this on his own or something might have happened. I was doubtful of the later since he was a demon who could take care of himself and I don't think he would be in that much of a danger not a week after returning home. 

I reasoned that he might not keep his phone with himself. He has been away from his mother and he had work to do for his father, so it might be logical for him to not carry the device with him all the time. But not even check it? 

I know my messages did reach him because I had delivery notification that told me about it. I also know that he gets notifications of all my voicemails. So why wasn't he reaching back? Would he call if I pretended to be in danger? 

Yeah, I thought about it, but I just couldn't go through with it. Worrying him with a false reason was a low thing to do and I just wasn't that type of person. I wanted for him to call me back or text me back because he wants that, not by me lying and forcing him to do so. But he never did. I still haven't gotten a reply from him and by now I think I won't even get one anytime soon which made me sad.

To twist the knife in my chest even further were the set of keys that stayed on my desk, taunting me, mocking me with their glinting. 

I have dropped them in a spot last Saturday and I haven't touched them since. I haven't even made a move to reach for them. Their presence in my room infuriated me because they were the truth starring me in the face. Them and the empty mansion at the end of the street.