Chapter 2

Seeing Dania and Ali enter the house with an upset, reserved face, Amaraah and Khizar sensed something had happened. Dania walked off to her room without saying anything as Ali sat on the sofa with a disappointing look over his face.

"Ali, what happened? Why is Dania so upset and you don't look well either?"

"I feel like a failed man Amaraah, no matter how much I try to protect Dania from the society's accusations and filthy language, I fail everytime. Everyday someone faces her and insults her for her identity. She is not to blame in it all. I have raised her as my own daughter, I know she is not my daughter from blood but I have always tried to give her everything she deserves and needs. I failed yet again today. Today society raised questions on her past and I couldn't defend her."

Khizar listened to Ali and then rushed towards Dania's room to talk to her while Amaraah tried to console Ali.

"Listen Ali, whatever people say, never let them come in between you and Dania. You have provided her with all the love and affection and lets be honest here, she has done the same in return. With me, Khizar or you, she has never been unfair. She calls us family and we are her family. Whatever people say, this truth can't be changed anymore. She is our daughter, our pride. I am sure she owns this too."

Ali looked up at Amaraah who placed her hand on his shoulder and smiled at him reassuringly.

———-

"Can I come in?" Khizar's voice came from the door.

"Yes." Dania turned from her window and faced the door to find Khizar entering with a smile on his face.

"Yeah another event was flopped and another insult came for Baba because of me. He has to bear it all for me."

"Stop this nonsense. Do you think I came to you so you say this at me. Dania, he is your Baba too. You are never the reason for his pain or tension. You are never. So stop."

"Everytime I walk out with him, eyes of people narrow towards us. They just don't seem to believe that a man like Baba has truly raised me like his own daughter. Bhai it's not my fault that I am not his..."

"You are his daughter. Listen Dania, I know society and people make it difficult but its been so many years and we have made this family work. We have made this union work. When you entered our lives, I was an old kid, all of Mama and Baba's focus shifted from me to you. Maybe as a child it didn't suit me but then we shared a bond too and it didn't feel like anything tough or different. You and I know that our parents have left no box unticked in providing us both equally with the best. They have always given you preference over me and I don't complain on this because little sis, you deserve it okay? Also you have not been any less in giving us all the love either. So let them idiots say what they want to say, our family is stronger than their nonsense and our unity will always triumph. So stop blaming yourself for something you haven't done. I understand that your past is not in the best part of your memories but remember that past led us all to have a beautiful present in which we are all together as a family. So what matters more?"

Dania had tears in her eyes but she was smiling looking at her brother empowering her, giving her the strength and comfort she so badly needed.

"I am so grateful for your support. I am so grateful for you. You have no idea."

"I do. I have the exact idea of how grateful you are for me because I got to be honest here, I am the coolest brother in town."