Chapter 4

When we arrived home, my father shoved me out of the car and threw me into the house. I tumbled onto the ground and a cry of pain escaped my bleeding lips. He punched me in the eye sending a wave of pain through my face. He began to walk out the door, "I'm going to the bar," He slammed the door behind him. I heard his car start up. The noise slowly faded as he rode off into the distance.

I lay there on the ground for a while thinking about Natsu. "He sounded concerned," I Thought, "Actually concerned. Maybe..." I shook the thought out of my head. He probably just sounded concerned because he was a good person, not because he cared. I pushed myself up so that I was sitting on the ground. If my dad was drinking that meant he'd probably beat me when he got home, but that also meant I had a few hours to make things right with Natsu.

I rushed over to his house, I knew where it was because I had seen him walk home before, and he lived fairly close to school. I knocked on the door I stepped back praying to God that he would forgive me, and that I would be able to make things right. I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I couldn't help it.

Natsu opened the door and stood back in shock, but then he quickly began to smile.

"Hey Luce," He closed the door behind him and stepped next to me.

We began to walk down the street.

"I'm sorry that I ran off earlier. It's nothing personal, I..."

He cut me off, "Yeah, I know. Your dad told me everything. I'm really sorry about your mom,"

I began to turn red, but not because of embarrassment like one would assume. My face turned red with anger, because my dad always told lies. Always. It was as if he couldn't help it. Natsu looked at me obviously expecting an answer. I knew that I had to lie too.

"Thanks... well now that everything is cleared up, I guess I should go now..."

He cut me off again.

"Wait..."

I turned to face him.

He had a slight blush on his face and was looking down sheepishly.

"I..." He began. "I... I uh.."

He stopped for a while to think. " I've kinda liked you for a while and..." He rubbed the back of his neck, " and..."

I pulled him into a hug before he could finish.

"This must be what love feels like.." I whispered to myself.

Natsu looked down at me, "What?"

"Nothing" I replied. I allowed my smile to linger a while before we pulled away. My smile faded as I remembered my current situation.

"I... i think we should just be friends..." I said.

My heart broke as i saw his face. I could see the disappointment. Tears began to form in his eyes and he wiped them away impatiently.

"I'm sorry I..." I began, but he cut me off yet again.

"No i get it Lucy. I understand... some people just aren't good enough for your standards," He said angrily.

"Natsu," I reached out, but he moved away.

"No Lucy just stop! It'll make things easier for the both of us!" He yelled.

He was crying by now, and I could feel tears threatening to fall in my own eyes.

"Sorry i wasted your time!"

With that, he began to storm away. My heart broke. I couldn't take it anymore. I cried for the second time today. I began screaming and crying, cursing myself for having been born. It all felt as if it was my fault, my fault for being born.

"Why!?" I cried out.

Natsu stopped and turned around. Before I could comprehend what was happening, Natsu had begun to run towards me. He pulled me into a tight hug. "What going on!?" I thought.

"Lucy I'm sorry...I'm so so sorry," He was crying now as well.

"I shouldn't have yelled," He said calmly.

I had no idea how to respond, so i cried. I cried until I could cry no more. I pulled away calmly and looked at Natsu. His face was just as red and puffy as mine.

"You're right," he began, "We should just be friends. I rushed things and I'm sorry,"

I smiled at him then I looked at my phone. "Crap!" i yelled "I gotta go, Natsu! I'll talk to you later!" I hurried off to my house, hoping my father hadn't returned.

When I arrived, I was relieved to see my father had yet to return. I hurried to the bathroom and washed my face. It was late, so I decided to go to sleep for the night.

I woke up the next morning to find that my father was still gone. I hurried off to school before he could return, glad to have escaped at least one night of punishment. Oh yeah, and now, I finally have a friend.