Three: Promise Me, No Promises

Start from the beginning

A Moidon offering protection owned the land of which the compound lay upon, in return for caretakers and festivals in its name. Her family had lived peacefully there until she was ten, and then Dad got an offer from some law firm opening in America. You could say it was the beginning of the end.

The car turned on to a different road, and the trees started thinning out to make room for houses and markets. The lack of monotonous green blurs broke Ash out of her musings.

It took her a while to realize she had started moving her head along to the beat his hands played. Wait, her brows furrowed, is this the Star Wars opening song? The thought struck her as Ash recognized the song, and she couldn't help herself. She snorted and started chuckling under her breath. Of all the things she thought could happen, listening to Stiles give a, very on beat, drum performance of the Main Title was not what she imagined.

Ash turned her head away from the window and stared at Stiles, looking at him as though this was the first time she's ever looked upon him.

Dad loved Star Wars.

"What?" He asks, looking a bit nervous, "Is there something on my face? Ohmygod, there's a spider on my face, isn't there?" he asked, panicked, turning the wheel to pull over, "where is it?! I knew I felt something!"

Don't laugh.

She laughed, grabbing the steering wheel lightly with her right hand laying over his; Ash gently pulls it back towards the road before he can get the car to the side of the street.

Thank god there's no one on the road right now. "Stiles," she says, laughing softly, interrupting his staring at her hand atop his, "There's no spiders on your face, just moles Stilinski, just moles."

His mouth dropped open, "Then why were you staring at me!?" he said exasperatedly, gently dislodging her hand from the wheel and pulling the car over anyway; he turned it off and looked at Ash expectantly.

Don't. He's human.

She ignores her more logical half; she's boring anyway.

"What?" She asks mock affronted, "I'm not allowed to stare at cute boys now?"

Don't forget; Dad was human too.

His mouth drops open for the second time today, and he was left speechless, staring at her. Ash wiggles her eyebrows suggestively.

"You're shitting me right now, aren't you?" He asks as a flush slowly makes its way up his neck.

"A little," She brought up her index finger and thumb, "but not for the reasons you're thinking," Ash amends, knowing he probably thought she was joking when she called him cute. "You're still pretty cute, but that's not why I was staring."

He gulps and looks at her confused before his expression clears up, and he looks stunned when the first few notes of the Star Wars Main Title sounds from her throat.

Leaning back in the passenger's seat, Ash relaxes her body into the soft leather, still humming the tune.

It was silent in the car for a few seconds before the sound of the ignition starting shook the Jeep. It only took a few more seconds after, for Stiles to start back up with the rhythm, the drumming starting in tune with her quiet humming, filling the Jeep with a promising, unorthodox, duet.