Chapter 12 : Alison

August 17th, 1996

Allison Hoffing was scared.

Beyond that, she was frightened.

But she kept pushing, she was sending her baby out to the world where she will grow and be beautiful. Hopefully she'll get her father's brain and be a genius.

"One more push!"

She was out.

Her baby was crying, not used to the cold air. She was covered in blood, discharge all over her.

She was beautiful.

One of the nurses wiped off her baby, and she handed her to Allison. She was soft, crying, and her eyes were slightly opened. Brown, with specks of gold in them.

Her baby had her eyes.

---

"Charlotte?"

She just looked up at Allison.

"Linda?"

She kept looking.

Allison sighed, leaning back. Her blonde hair was currently in the fist of her 7 hour old newborn.

One of the nurses, Terri, was busy mixing a bottle for Allison. She smiled. "You act like she can understand you."

"She probably can." Allison looked down. "Don't you baby?"

Baby bumped her fist against Allison's stomach. Allison took that as a yes.

"See?"

Terri laughed, handing Allison the bottle. "When we were naming our kids, I had to convince the husband no to name the twins Luke and Leia. He named one and I named one, and so Isabella and Max were formed."

Allison held the bottle, adjusting so she could fit Baby and hold the milk. "What's your husbands name?"

"Mason."

Baby thumped her stomach.

Allison looked down. "Do you like that? Mason?"

She blinked and yanked her hair. Correction, Mason blinked and yanked her hair.

"Mason." She smiled. "It fits. Mason Elizabeth Hoffing."she looked up. "Elizabeth if for my cousin who died of lung cancer."

Terri smiled. "Is that her name?"

"Yes."

-----

"Mom, Dad this is your granddaughter, Mason."Allison held up Mason a bit higher.

Mrs. Hoffing leaned over, studying the newborn. "She has your eyes."

Mr. Hoffing scoffed. "She could have anyone's eyes, brown is brown."

"No, these are Allisons."

"Or it could be that one-night stands eyes."

"Dad."Allison cut in. "Dad, look. I know you're still angry, but think of it this way. You have another member, someone who could potentially own Hoffing Incorporates. Mason is going to be smart, she will expand it farther then a tiny sheet metal company."

Mason started to cry then, tiny fist in the air. Mrs. Hoffing blanched at that, surprised at the sudden noise. She got closer and a smile slowly grew on her features. "She has our ears."

_____

"Well, where is your teething ring sweetie?"

Allison walked around the apartment,  tripping over toys and stuff animals.  Mason was crying,  chewing on her fingers.