Chapter 32 - Weight

Light streams through a gap in the curtains, shining onto my eyes and waking me. I groan, shifting slightly, wishing I could have slept more soundly. I feel as if I only slept for a few moments.

My head has a dull ache to it, from lack of sleep I guess. A glance around reveals that Doyle has already awakened, and I am alone. I stuff my face in the pillow, considering trying to go back to sleep. But a growl from my stomach tells me I need to eat. So, reluctantly, I drag myself out of bed and down the stairs.

I hear voices from the kitchen, and head that way, glancing out of the window and seeing that, although it is bright out, it has begun snowing again. I'm tired of the cold.

The kitchen is bright and warm, and the smell of bacon reaches my nose. I'm still not used to all of this...domesticity.

Seth is laughing while sits at the table next to Izzy, and Doyle is smiling, and that's when I notice our guest. Georgie.

Her eyes widen when she sees me, and she jumps out of her seat and rushes over, practically tackling me in a hug.

"Oh my god, Wynne!" She says, squeezing me tight. "I'm so glad you're okay, and that you're back."

"Me too," I smile, but it's almost like an instinct rather than genuine. And it's not like I'm not happy to see her, because I am. I just...don't feel like smiling.

Soon she's back in conversation with Seth and Izzy, and I'm sitting next to Doyle, surrounded by friends — family, really — but I feel so far away from it all.

The food has no taste, my laughter is forced. I can't seem to get my head on straight. My thoughts drift from the present to the past, dredging up things I'd rather forget.

I force myself to finish eating before I leave. Maybe then they won't notice how weird i'm being. But of course, Doyle notices. I go sit on the porch, and soon he's joined me.

He doesn't say a thing, just sits there. And that's enough. Enough for me to know that he's there if I need him, if I need to talk, if anything.

The snowflakes drift down, mixed with a light icy rain, and the wind whistles around the corner of the house. It's cold, but I can't bring myself to move.

Now that I'm not fighting to survive, everything I never had to think about is just...there, in my head. Tearing me up from the inside out. And I want to talk about it, but I don't know how.

And the next thing I know, I'm crying. I guess it's the only way I can release anything. The tears grow cold as they roll down my cheeks, and I try to wipe them away quickly, but more keep coming. I feel stupid, like I'm being childish.

I glance over at Doyle, and he's watching me intently. Tucking a strand of red hair behind his ear, he scoots closer, and wraps his arms around me, and I bury my face in his chest.

"Whatever it is," he says, sounding muffled, "let me help you carry it."

+++++

What?? Another update this soon??!! Wow!

Anyway, it's super short, though.

Byeee