Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Baby?

"Gale?!" I let go of the tree almost immediately and whip around. "Oh my god Gale!" I run into his open arms and he spins me around before setting me down.

"Hey there." He laughs a little and steps back from the hug. "I've missed you." He smiles. Gale looked so different. His hair was a little more grown out, he looked a lot taller or stronger.

"I've missed you too." I finally blurt out. I hadn't seen him since the rebellion, and that's when the anger started to boil up inside me. He left me! He left without even telling me! I don't see why he came back now, he wasn't here for me before.

"Why are you here." My tone had changed without me meaning for it too.

"Katniss-" I cut him off.

"You left me! You left and you didn't even tell me, leaving when I needed you most." I glare at him.

"Katniss I'm sorry! I was offered a job and I had to leave right away. I was going to tell you..." He frowns.

"You could've called!" I shout a few branches behind me snapping but I just ignore it until someone wraps their arms around me. Someone who had actually been there for me, Peeta. Gale no longer spoke, he stood in silence. I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck as I cried into Peeta's chest. The boy with the bread didn't say anything, he was too busy glaring at Gale before I actually break the silence.

"I need to go home." Peeta nods and turns to take me back to Victors Village, taking the way through the meadow that was full of the yellow dandelions. I picked a few as we walked and stared at them in my hands, Peeta breaking the silence with his question.

"Baby?"

But I shake my head, a disappointed look on his face. I'm not ready for a baby, and I don't think I'll ever be.