The Company

Mulai dari awal

"May we come in?" Atticus asks.

I gulp.

"Yes."

The door clicks quietly open, and the blue glow of the hallway streams into my dark room. Four figures stand in the doorway, the front-most being Atticus with his distinct mechanical arms. The three people behind him are cast in shadows, each one's pitch black outfits accented with highlights of a different colour. All but the last one, who wears only black.

"This is Six," Atticus says, gesturing to the narrow man with bronze skin streaked with white in tiger-like patterns. Though his torso is covered in black and splashes of deep green, his toned arms are bare. He wears a number of bracelets and gives a dashing smile. "Wow," he says, "You are not what I was expecting. In a good way."

"My name is Three," says the other, a handsome young man with cropped lavender hair and pale blue decorations. His skin is almost the same colour as his hair. His voice is soft, and though his features are kind, hidden somewhat by his low, jewelled, hood, I can't quite place anything in his appearance that stands out.

Atticus and the unfamiliar two step around me, making themselves at home in my new little room. Atticus switches on a lamp, but not the main light. I stand face to face with the fourth member of the group.

"Seven," I say softly.

Seven gives a distracted nod, not quite meeting my eyes. His black clothing is concealing, hiding most of his tanned skin. His platinum hair is flicked in every direction. The black and white contrast makes his green eyes pop. He looks different, but the same. Taller, maybe, and stronger. And dressed like an "operative" instead of my Helper. Same misty green eyes. Same freckles sprayed across his cheeks and nose. His familiar presence cuts through the misty glaze in my memory, and I know for sure that it's him.

Same still, quiet nature.

Six, Three and Atticus have gone quiet, too, watching our interaction.

For a moment, Seven just stands there. His eyes linger on mine, then sweep across the room. He flicks his head, gesturing for the others to leave. He doesn't need to say anything for them to obey.

I step quietly out of the way as Atticus and Three leave. Six lingers for a second, grinning at Seven's straight face, then skips out, the door clicking quietly shut behind him.

For a breath, I'm flooded with nerves.

He reaches a hand out for me, hesitant. I turn my wrist over, pulling up my sleeve. Seven steps close, his focus intense as he trails his fingers over the pattern. I'm silent as he does, wracked with emotions as I remember the first and last time he did this. His eyes slowly lift to mine, soft and familiar.

"You're here," he whispers, searching my face as if I'm not really.

I don't dare speak.

His hand lingers near mine for a second longer than it needs to, then he steps back. When he speaks again, his voice is barely a whisper.

"Welcome to my world," he says.

He glances once more around the room, then leaves. I don't know what just happened, or whether it was good or bad, but I'm shaking like a leaf and there a tears running down my cheeks. I can't quiet process everything that's happened today, so I stand in the stillness, wondering what this new life will bring.

~~~

I'm woken the next morning by a high beeping sound. The green light on the wall is orange and flashing. I press it, and a hologram of Gloss appears.

"You up, girl?" she asks, her voice only partly distorted by the technology.

"Yes, I'm awake," I reply, stretching a little.