Chapter 3: What's Wrong with Being Confident ?

Start from the beginning

Maybe it won't be great. I was already getting bad vibes. Walking up to my locker, I still kept feeling eyes behind my back.

A girl approached me while Principal Cuffman was busy answering a student who had rushed to him to ask about something that seemed important, she had dark brown hair with fierce brown eyes, her brown hair was back length. She held a smile that I couldn't tell was fake.

"What are you doing here? " she asked.

Confusion laced my face, "um?"

"I asked you a question Black girl." she glowered, folding her arms.

Black girl?

"I have a name and its Hannah, not black girl." I said and kept walking completely forgetting that I needed the Principal.

She followed me.

"What country are you from? you don't look American." she said sizing me up, down to my plain, non designer, sneakers.

I stopped walking and turned towards her so I was mere inches from her face "I'm African." I said cooly. Was I angry? No, I was merely irritated by the brown haired girl who obviously thought high of herself.

She only smirked to herself, like she already figured the answer out. "African huh? No wonder you are so black"

"Not all African's are 'so black' " I retorted.

I hadn't missed the looks that the students continued to give me.

"Don't think that because you are black and people are staring means you are now popular Hannah."who said anything about me being popular?

I opened my mouth to say something, but she beat me to it.
           "Even if you were to be popular, it wouldn't ever be in the way you think of." She said, her tone promised wrath. But her eyes, her eyes twinkled with unknown mischief.

"who are you?" I asked, not liking the way she spoke like my future was in her hands.

"I'm your worse nightmare." she smirked, "see you later Black girl." she chirped and walked away. She was definitely one of the mean girls, but what school had a mean girl whose hair was brown? If their hair was brown they'd usually dye it and add to their list of fake body parts.

        After a few moments, I calmed down and dismissed any thought about that girl. Although I felt I was forgetting something. Then it dawned on me.

Principal Cuffman.

Where is he?! I thought in a frenzy, spinning around in hopes of spotting him somewhere in the large crowd.

I walked back and saw him talking with another student. She had a short purple colored hair with side swept bangs. I noted she was Asian the moment I got closer. I couldn't hear much that was said between them because she was very soft spoken.

When I got closer, they both noticed my presence.

"Ah, Hannah. I was wondering where you had run off to." Said the Principal, "this is Scarlet, she's a senior like you. Scarlet, this is Hannah." The Principal introduced us, she just stared blatantly, leaving me feeling awkward. She had dark brown hair which was tinted red at the tips."She will be showing you around school later on, so you'll get familiar with all the places."

"Scarlet," the Principal turned to the red haired girl. "We will continue this discussion later. I have to show our new student to her first classroom."

Scarlet nodded in understanding.

The hallways almost looked empty by now and I assumed the classes had started... which gave me more reasons to be nervous.

Together, The Principal and I trotted to my first class. "My apologies for the little Inconvenience, Hannah. Please, ask your fellow students for directions to your next class, and by lunch I would have Scarlet show you around." He said to me. I nodded saying,

"It's fine."

The moment I entered, every body stopped chatting with each other and stared at me, while some whispered to their seat partners. I saw the girl who approached me in the hallway, smirking. I was so not happy about this.

"She's black."a guy squeaked and I heard him, he didn't even whisper. A look of horror flashed across his face. When I glared at him, he turned away.

Principal Cuffman took an excuse from the middle aged lady, whom he addressed as Miss Fingerwood.
"Dear students," he began. "I'm pleased to introduce to you a new foreign student. Her name is Hannah. Please make her feel welcomed in the school."

They all remained quiet.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. "So... you may uh, take your seat." He turned to the teacher, "thank you for your time."

I looked for a seat while Principal Cuffman made his way out. The only available seat was in the middle, great.

I doodled silently in my new notebook as the class progressed. Only the sound of Miss Fingerwood's shrill voice filled the entire classroom. "Now to my next question," she said, sitting on top of her desk and dropping her marker with a loud thump beside her. "What is an atom?"

"An atom is the smallest particle of an element." A voice answered.

Everyone's eyes was suddenly on me. It nearly freaked me out. Slowly, I realised why they were all gawking at me... The voice that answered was mine. I answered the question.

Miss Fingerwood stared with an eyebrow raised, not bothering to hide her taken back expression. I shrunk under their piercing gazes, wishing they would stop looking at me. Especially the girl by my side, who's eyes were burning holes in my head. Her fingers clutched her pencil tightly, almost snapping it in half.

What was her problem?

The teacher didn't acknowledge my answer, instead she asked another question which I answered in a heartbeat. Her face was now a blank mask, albeit a look of interest flashed through her pale gray orbs.

She stood up. Walking to-and-fro, the only sound that could be heard was the sound of her heels as they met the tiled floors. The girl by my side was quick to reply the moment Ms Fingerwood asked another question.

The woman stared at her apprehensively as her lips pulled together to form one word. "Wrong." She said.

Everyone gasped.

The girl by my side turned beet red and glowered at me.

How is this my fault?

"Abby never gets an answer wrong." I heard someone mutter.

"This is getting interesting."

"Abby looks furious."

"That must've sucked."

The murmurs increased until Ms Fingerwood demanded they remained silent. "Any other answer?" She asked, clasping her hands firmly behind her.

Nobody said anything.

I knew the answer so I said it.

I really wish I hadn't.

Hello my dears.
Good day to you all, how are you enjoying the story so far?

Your support is greatly appreciated and I have a tiny spot in my big heart filled with cobwebs that is kept neat and filled with love for you all.

I know, I know, I am very generous. It runs in my family. Lol.

Please leave plenty of comments for the creator to read and never forget to leave a vote. <3