Chapter 13

Publish Date: 10/21/18

A few days later, Harry and Ron were at work. The Aurors were taking a quick break, so the office was noisy, even though it was a small group.

"I'll be right back, Ron, I want to talk to Auror Roberts," Harry said, already walking the direction of the Head Auror. Ron nodded and started to talk to someone else.

"Potter." Auror Roberts greeted Harry as he arrived. "What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering if we could talk for a moment, sir," Harry started. The Auror nodded at him to continue. "Sir, I don't like how we're keeping this a secret from everyone."

Auror Roberts raised his eyebrows. "Are you questioning my decisions, Potter? If I think it's best to keep this under the radar, then that's what we'll do."

"I just think that people deserve to know if they're in danger," Harry said.

"There's only been one attack, Potter," Auror Roberts said. "There's no point in spreading unnecessary worry."

"But can't we just—"

"I've made my choice, Potter. If you could please get out of my office, I'd like to start working again."

Harry sighed and made his way back to Ron and the others. Seeing his dejected face, Ron walked over to him.

"Alright, mate?" Ron asked, once he was close enough. Harry shook his head.

"I told Roberts how I felt about keeping this a secret," he started. "Let's just say, it did not go very well."

"Well, it's not like we can hide this forever. You'll think of something, mate. You always do." Ron patted Harry on the back.

"Thanks, Ron. Now, let's get back to work." The small group of Aurors worked for a while, talking about who they thought the attacker was.

"I bet it's a former Death Eater," someone said. The others seemed to agree.

"The question is...which one?"

The conversation went on like that for a while, different people voicing their different thoughts on the subject. Harry tried to participate, but he couldn't stop thinking about Auror Roberts' decision.

Shouldn't people know? Sure, there had only been one attack, but that could be the start of something bigger.

"Listen up, everyone!" Auror Roberts' loud voice carried across the room, causing everyone to pause their work. "It seems we haven't been making much progress today. With that being said, I think we should start fresh tomorrow."

Once the Head Auror was done talking, people began packing up their stuff to head home.

"Hey, Harry. 'Mione's at home right now, do you and Ginny want to come over?" Ron asked. Harry shrugged.

"Sure, I can ask her. I'll see you in a few minutes," Harry replied. He gathered his things to Apparate home to get Ginny, so they could go to Ron and Hermione's.

"See you soon, mate!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe that's what they decided to do!" Hermione was outraged. Harry and Ron had filled Hermione in on the Aurors' choice to keep the investigation private, and she did not agree anymore than they had. "This is going to cause some problems for everyone involved!"

"Yeah, well, there's not much we can do about it without losing our jobs," Harry said. "But I agree, something needs to happen."

"I mean, it's just like what's happened during the war. The Ministry is keeping important information from the public because they don't believe it's a threat." Ginny frowned.

"Do we know that it's actually a former Death Eater?" Hermione asked thoughtfully.

"We aren't quite sure, but we think it's a former Death Eater. Or, at least, a supporter of Voldemort," Ron said.

"But how do you know?" Hermione inquired.

"We went to the attack site. A Dark Mark was drawn on a Muggle's arm." Harry said. The group was silent for a moment.

"Are the Aurors looking for the attacker?" Ginny asked. The boys nodded.

"Yeah. It's just a small group of us though," Harry said. "I guess Auror Roberts doesn't think it's to serious yet."

"Can't the Department of Magical Law Enforcement do something, Hermione?" Ron asked worriedly. Hermione worked for the DMLE, but she shook her head.

"Not yet. If you two really are going to lose your jobs if this gets out, I don't think the DMLE should know. Also, this case belongs to the Aurors. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement isn't allowed to do anything until the Aurors have caught the criminal. We're here to decide the consequences."

"That's fair, I suppose," Ginny nodded.

They wrapped up their conversation about work, and the topics were taking a happier turn.

"Have you guys started talking about your wedding yet?" Ginny asked Ron and Hermione, who shook their heads.

"Not yet, we wanted to start once you and Harry's wedding was over. We don't need two weddings going on at the same time," Hermione smiled.

"Hey, your wedding's coming up in a few months," Ron grinned. Harry and Ginny nodded.

"I can't wait to get married to you, love," Ginny smiled and kissed Harry on the cheek.

"I'm so excited," Harry responded with an equally bright smile.

The four continued to talk, about weddings and family and friends. They've had enough of talking about work for the day.

"Merlin, it's gonna be so weird when Teddy goes to Hogwarts," Ron laughed. The others nodded in agreement.

"Definitely. Though I can't imagine an eleven year old Teddy," Ginny grinned.

"I think it's quite cute how Teddy and Victoire are so close," Hermione pointed out.

"They really are the best of friends, aren't they?" Harry smiled.

"Kinda like us," Ron shrugged. Harry, Ginny and Hermione smiled fondly.

"I wonder what house Teddy will be in when he does go to school," Harry said.

"Gryffindor, like Remus?" Hermione suggested. "Merlin knows he's reckless."

"Oh, that boy's a Hufflepuff, for sure," Ginny smirked. "Just like his mum." The group of friends smiled. Sometimes it was nice to just take a break and relax.

Harry and Ginny were at Ron and Hermione's for a while, well into the evening. They couldn't stay to late because they all had work tomorrow, but they stayed as late as they could. It was around 9:00 when they decided to leave.

"I think we should head home," Ginny yawned. "It's been great talking with you guys, but I have practice tomorrow."

After saying goodbye to Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny went home.

A/N: Hi guys. I don't know how I feel about this chapter, but I hope it was okay. I'll probably go back and edit later, though. Thanks for reading! 💛
Words: 1,039