Chapter Nine: Hearts Desire

Start from the beginning

Harry thought. Then he said slowly, "It shows us what we want... whatever we want..."

"Yes and no," said Dumbledore quietly. "It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts. You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you. However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what it shows is real or even possible.

"The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. Now, why don't you get off to class?"

Harry stood up.

"Sir - Professor Dumbledore? Can I ask you something?"

"Obviously, you've just done so," Dumbledore smiled. "You may ask me one more thing, however."

"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"

"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

Harry stared.

"One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."

Harry narrowed his eyes slightly and looked Dumbledore in the eyes. They made eye contact and Harry couldn't move. Literally. He was frozen as he felt a presence in his mind. Harry's heart sped up. What was going on? He could feel his magic spiking in reaction to his fear. Harry suddenly ripped away from the gaze of the older wizard and ran out of the room. He ran until he reached the Potions classroom and into his seat. He was early but soon the rest of the the class had filled in. Draco sat next to Harry and quickly noticed Harry's wide eyes and rapid breathing.

"Are you okay, Har?" Harry shook his head. "Do I need to call over Professor Snape?" Harry hesitated before shaking his head again. "Are you sure?"

"Just after class wait with me please?" Draco nodded his head worriedly proceeded to follow the instructions on the board. The class passed quickly and soon everybody had left except the pair still sitting in their desk.

"Is there something you needed boys?" Draco glanced at Harry and nodded. Severus raised an eyebrow expectantly. Harry took a shaky breathe and ran a hand through his hair.

"Um, well I was wandering the corridors and I found an old classroom. I decided to go and sit down but I saw a mirror. I walked closer and I saw, well I saw, um. Actually I'd rather not say what I saw but it doesn't matter. Anyway, Professor Dumbledore came in and he told me that it was called the Mirror of Erised and it showed your hearts greatest desire or something. But just as I was going to Lea ave I looked him in the eye and I couldn't break eye contact. He was just staring at me and I felt his magic in my head. It was like he was picking my brain. I don't know what happened but I was able to break away and I ran straight here." Harry looked up and saw Severus had a look of fury, hatred, and horror. Harry gasped and moved back at the pure intensity of it. Draco steadied him as he nearly toppled off the chair.

"Sir, you're scaring him," Draco said softly. Severus closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I apologize Harry. I did not mean to alarm you but my anger is not at you. Before I say anything though I want to test something. Would it be alright if I did a small experiment with you, it won't hurt." Harry nodded immediately and Severus lifted Harry's chin with two fingers. The two commenced in a staring contest. Harry immediately felt the same probing in his mind as he did before and he panicked. He pulled away and tightly shut his eyes. "Was that what you felt when Dumbledore made eye contact?"