Appreciation

(Kat finally acknowledges Ernest's hard work.)

As always, Ernest came into work on time. He prepared brunch, served it and didn't even noticeably break a sweat. Day in and day out, he did everything he could to help Miss Layton. He didn't mind that Miss Layton hardly ever payed any mind to his dedication, and why should she? It was Ernest's goal to make everything as easy and comfortable for her as he could. His help should be expected after everything Miss Layton did for him.

It was a lovely afternoon in the agency. Ernest and Katrielle's coats hung on the coatrack by the sofa. The flames cracked and clicked in the small fireplace near the desk eliminating the chill of the January air outside. Katrielle sipped her tea softly as she tapped her toe. Ernest stepped out from the small kitchen and stretched, grunting softly as he felt the tension in his shoulders melt away. Katrielle turned her head as she heard him enter.

"Ah, Ernest." She spoke with a pleasant smile.
"Could you grab something for me? It's a book...but I can't quite remember the title." She spoke thoughtfully.
"Something about...dogs."
Ernest blinked before smiling as he searched the bookshelf.
"I believe you're talking about 'The Hounds of Baskerville'! Such a legendary mystery." Ernest smiled as he traced his finger over the spines of the books, trying to find the familiar writings.
Katrielle clapped her hands together.
"Yes, that's it!"

Soon, the title came into view and Ernest pulled the book out, walking over to Kat and handing it to her.
"Here you are, Miss." he chirped.
Katrielle quaintly took the book and squealed with joy.
"Thank you." She giggled as she flipped through the pages.
Ernest chuckled and nodded, taking the teapot on the table in front of Kat and refilling her teacup.

He noticed the lack of muffins on the plate in front of him and quickly turned away to head back to the kitchen.

"I honestly don't know what I'd do without you, Ernest."

Ernest stopped dead in his tracks, his body frozen and stiff in its place.
There was silence before Ernest timidly replied, looking back at her.
"What...What was that?" He stuttered quietly.
"You're so helpful, I really do appreciate that."
She said it so casually, almost like she didn't know how much those words meant to him. She didn't even look up from the book.

Ernest was silent for too long. Kat looked up at him.
"Ernest?"
One look at his face made her chortle softly.
"Goodness, Ernest. You look like you saw a ghost! Are you alright?"
"I-I...-" He straightened up and looked to the carpet.
He laughed a bit sheepishly.
"Sorry." He mumbled. "I suppose I just didn't...expect that."
Kat narrowed her eyes in confusion.
"What do you mean? Don't I usually show my gratitude?" She asked.
Ernest quickly shook his head.
"O-Of course you do, Miss! I didn't mean to imply that you weren't gracious! I just meant... Well, um..." he took a moment.
"I've just never heard you really say it before."

Katrielle raised her eyebrows at this.
"I've never told you that before? Not even remotely?"
Ernest felt his heartbeat quicken and he felt his face flush in embarrassment of his dramatic reaction to something so small.
"Y-You have, Miss! You're always so supportive and-."
Kat slapped her hand onto her forehead.
"Silly me." She laughed.
"I'm always so concentrated on our cases, I guess I just forget to really communicate."

She straightened up.
"Forgive me, Ernest. I thought I had voiced that long ago. You've been so loyal and kind all this time, and I haven't shown an ounce of clear recognition."
Ernest covered his mouth to keep his jaw from dropping.
"I..." he blinked.
"Oh...G-Goodness, I'm... Please don't apologize, Miss Layton! I should be apologizing for such a gawky reaction." Ernest waved his hands.

Katrielle tapped her chin in reflection before her eyes glinted.
"Ernest, grab a blanket. The big blue one in the back closet."
"Yes, Miss Layton!"
Ernest snapped out of his shock and immediately fumbled to complete his new task. He rushed to the back room and returned to Katrielle with a warm, light blue cotton blanket. He handed it to Kat and stepped back awkwardly. He thought he might as well grab those muffins now to move the day away from his foolish moment. He turned for the kitchen.

"And where do you think you're going?" Katrielle's voice was stern and it frightened Ernest. He quickly turned to explain himself but being so frazzled, he could barely talk correctly.
"I-I, ah, uhm." He pointed to the kitchen behind him, then to the empty plate in front of Kat.
"M-Muffins." Was all he could state.
Katrielle giggled.
"Those can wait." She put the blanket around her shoulder, then lifted the side of it so it draped next to her.

"Come here." She said gently.
Ernest hesitantly obeyed, walking to the sofa and stiffly sitting next to her. Kat immediately wrapped her arm around Ernest and held him close in the warmth of the blanket.
"Relax with me." She said.
"Miss, you don't-."
"That is an order, Ernest. You are going to cozy up with me today so I can make sure you feel appreciated."

Ernest felt his entire body go hot.
"Ah... Alright." He swallowed.
Katrielle sighed as she adjusted the blanket to comfortably warm both of them, then gently pet Ernest's shoulder to calm any anxieties he had. She made sure Ernest would soon comfortably rest his weight against her, letting go of all tension.
"Now that that's settled, should I read this aloud?" Katrielle lifted the book from her lap. Ernest sighed.
"Anything you'd like, Miss. This is nice." He smiled softly as he leaned his head on her shoulder. Katrielle chuckled and pet his hair.
"There we go, Ernest. That's the spirit."