"I don't understand, what does she have anything to do with this" I questioned, the information she was giving me still not making any sense.

"Oh darling, how much I've missed you" Simone mocked me as she strutted towards the hospital bed my dad was lying on. Again, I positioned myself in front of my dad so that Simone couldn't do whatever she was planning to do to him.

"Protecting daddy dearest are we?"

"No" I answered, rolling my shoulders back before continuing. "But at the moment he seems to be the lesser evil out of the three of you"

"And the dumber one as well I suppose" my mom interjected, not taking her focus off her manicured fingernails. I scoffed at her nonchalance, getting her attention in doing so as she got up and took a few steps towards Simone so that they were side by side.

"When your father refused to pay up, I sent Simone in to persuade him to give into my demands which worked perfectly in my opinion" she smirked at her achievement.

"Or so you think" my father finally spoke with a cough. "You don't think I actually fell for your pathetic little plan did you?"
"Of course you did, while you were too busy shagging Simone, she was able to transfer the money into an account of mine behind your back" my mom explained.

"Or maybe I knew from the start who Simone was and set the whole thing up to get you to confess your plan to have one of your minions seduce me to get my money and how you were the one who orchestrated the attack on Ivan and I. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that you'd think that plan of yours would work" He explained, laughing at their expense towards the end.

"Even if you take this to the authorities, its your word against mine and who's gonna believe the man claiming his late wife came back to attack him" she snapped back thinking she was in the clear but the device in my hand quickly wiped the cockiness out of her expression.

"No, it's your word against you, way to incriminate yourself mother"

Almost on cue, the door bursts open and in came in 3 police officers along with Ivan who was holding his phone in his hand as I ended the call. They immediately put the two of them in handcuffs, dragging them out as they screamed in protest over the police reading them their rights.

The scene in front of me left a bitter taste in my mouth and an even bigger hole in my chest. I wasn't able to comprehend losing my mother again but at the same time, the woman currently being dragged away was no mother to me. She had intentionally put my loved ones in danger and that was something I couldn't get past.

"It's finally over" Ivan muttered throwing himself in the nearest chair in exhaustion. His words did little to comfort me in the fact that I could finally live my life without fearing anyone. I turned to my father, his expression portraying the hurt and betrayal he was currently feeling. Without a second thought, I wrapped my arms around him and gently rubbed his back as he weeped in my embrace. His pained sobs brought me to tears as well as we let out all of the pain and anger we felt at the world.

"Please don't leave again" I begged not being able to go through losing both parents in one day. He released me just enough to look me in the eyes before speaking "I won't ever leave you again, I promise you that"

Relieved, I hugged him tightly once more, as I felt his chest rumble in response. Letting go, I got up and made my way towards Ivan, yearning to straighten things out between us. Once in arms distance of him, I stopped and watched as his eyes traveled up my body before settling on my eyes.

"Hi" I shyly whispered, his smile indicating his amusement at my response.

"Hello mia cara"

"Can we talk in private?"

"If you needed privacy all you had to do was ask me to close my eyes Amelia" my father teased from behind me, I whipped around to see him covering his eyes with his hands like a child. Giggling in response, I turned back around and grabbed Ivans hand to lead him out of the room, much to my father's disapproval.

We walked down the hallway to a secluded area before stopping, as I leaned against the wall with Ivan a few inches away from me.

"So.." I stalled

"So?" He asked, his tone hinting at his nervousness.

"What do we do now that everything is finally over"

"I mean I guess we can finally continue with our lives and take the next step of our relationship" he began before I blurted out what was really on my mind.

"Why did you hide the letters from me and why weren't you there for me when I needed you" I watched impatiently as his mouth opened and close while he tried to find an answer.

"I didn't think I could be of much use to you if the people who did this were still out there so I made the decision to hunt them down. As for the letters, you were already so overwhelmed with your family situation, I didn't want to add more onto your plate especially when I didn't think it was a big deal" he rambled trying to explain his perspective.

"You shouldn't have kept things from me in the first place Ivan, I had a right to know and you took that away from me."

And I understand that, believe me I do. Its just, I felt helpless watching your pained expression whenever you thought of them and how much they hurt you, so I wasnt gonna add onto that list with the letters, Im sorry he apologized sincerely.

I am going to forgive you only because I so badly want to get on with the rest of my life, I mean I think Ive had enough drama to last me a lifetime but if you even think of hiding things from me again, Im done with you I promised watching as my response immediately broke a smile out on his face as I followed suit. He clutched onto my waist as he peppered my face with kisses to show his appreciation.

Now, kiss me you fool I ordered

My pleasure he said, leaning in and capturing my mouth in a passionate kiss. My heart fluttered at the familiar feeling only his kisses brought me and how much I had missed it. We broke apart at the sound of an awkward cough, a older nurse glaring at us at our outward display of affection. My cheeks heated up as I hid my face in Ivans chest much to his pleasure as he chuckled at my embarrassment.

Let's get out of here mia cara he spoke, intertwined our fingers as we marched down the hallway to bid my father a farewell so that we could finally retire for the night. We walked back into the room to be welcomed with the sight of my father sleeping peacefully, the heart rate monitor an indication of his slumber. I quietly tiptoed to the edge of his bed to place a gentle kiss on his forehead before walking back out into the hallway.

Ready Ivan asked stretching his hand out.

Where did Sierra and Connor go I questioned, only now realizing their absence.

I told them to go home after I arrived seeing as your father was ok and they had no reason to be here for the rest he explained as we made our way to the lobby of the hospital.

I need to call Sierra once we get home I said making a mental note to fill her in on the chaos I had just experienced.

With that thought in mind, I got into Ivans car very ready to retreat to our room and sleep for as long as needed after the emotional rollercoaster I had just endured. I leaned my head against the cool window, closing my eyes as the serene environment and the cars movement lulled me to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 39 complete! This story is slowly coming to an end after almost 2 years of writing. Make sure you let me know what you think my voting, sharing and commenting!!

Love y'all<3

A.O