Chapter 38

Not edited*
Ivan's pov. (before incident)

I sat at one of the bar stools completely bored out of my mind, taking slow sips of my drink to keep me preoccupied. Connor sat beside me, awkwardly shifting in his seat every few moments and playing on his phone to avoid making small talk.

"If you have a question just ask me already" I finally said, tired of his mouth constantly opening and closing like a fish.

"How are you so sure I had a question to ask" he inquired crossing his arms.

"You've spent the last few minutes opening and closing your mouth as if you have something to say but are too scared to say them. As your boss, I'm giving you permission to say whatever is on your mind" I taunted with a slight smirk.

"You're a bit of a prick aren't you" he joked.

"Being a successful CEO of a thriving business will do that to you" I answered the smirk on my face growing at his unimpressed expression.

He shook his head and the atmosphere enveloped us into a comfortable silence for a few moments until I spotted Alejandro walk into the bar. I observed him as his eyes scanned the crowd before landing on me as he began to make his way over to where I was sitting.

"Twice in one day, you better stop before I start to think you like me" I said once he was close enough to hear me. He rolled his eyes at my response before tilting his head towards the entrance, signalling for me to follow him. With a deep sigh, I got up from my seat and watched as Connor followed suit, his eyes silently asking if I was good. Giving him a curt nod as to silently assure him that I was fine before ushering Alejandro to go as I trailed a few steps behind him. Once we made it outside, he surveyed the area before focusing his gaze on me, his expression appearing to be slightly paranoid.

"I might have an idea of who's been sending you all of those letters" he began, pausing to see if he had my attention. I raised my eyebrow in an effort to get him to continue but before he could say anything else, a few men in black hoodies invaded our space.

"Is there something we can help you with" I asked the one who was standing in the middle, straightening up once I got a glimpse at what seemed to be a knife.

In the blink of an eye, the men lunged at us, as we brawled in the middle of the sidewalk. The one with the knife had his eyes on Alejandro as the other two began caging me against the brick wall. I immediately threw a punch at the one closest to me catching him off guard as he stumbled a few steps back. The other one swung at me sloppily making it easy to dodge it and get him into a headlock. I didn't loosen my grip around his neck an inch when the other charged at me.

Once he was close enough, I swung my leg out aiming for his leg as the one in my arms began to slump effectively loosing consciousness. The one who I just kicked let out an idiotic growl before charging at me once more as I side stepped and pushed him into the brick wall as hard as I could thankfully knocking him out. I slouched over the catch my breath before hearing a pained groan behind me. Whipping around, I watched as Alejandro stumbled back clutching his gut, as his shirt reddened with blood. The guy responsible for the wound turned his attention towards me as he began walking towards me.

"Ivan Stone, killing you will give me so much credibility." He taunted, a cocky smirk etched on his face.

"You're more than welcome to try stronzo" I taunted watching as he attempted to size me up. Like his friends, he charged at me with the same knife he used to stab Alejandro, aiming for my gut as well. When he was close enough, I dodged his jabs and right hooked him when i got an opening following it by a left hook. Staggering back, he clutched his jaw as blood gushed from his mouth and launching forward once more lazily waving the knife around.