Chapter 31

Not edited*
Amelia's pov.

The next morning, I made sure to wake up early enough that I could get out of the house before Ivan had woken up. I managed to find the piece of paper with Maria's address lying on the nightstand and took a picture before leaving. Because I didn't have my car with me, I was forced to call for a cab to drive me to the location.

The entire ride there, all I could think about was how close I was to revealing the truth about my father. We arrived in a rather secluded area which did little to soothe my already frightened nerves. I quickly paid the driver and got out, slowly walking up the trail towards the front of the house.

I took a deep breath before knocking and waiting patiently for a response. I decided to knock a second time making sure that it was a lot louder than the last. The door creaked loudly against my knuckles as it opened enough for me to look inside.

Peeping my head through, I looked around to see a rather nice looking living room but what scared me was the fact that it looked like it hadn't been touched for days. I pushed the door open and stepped in, glancing around for any sign of movement before continuing to look around the house.

I sighed in disappointment, turning around to head back to the living room but was startled when a hand clasped my shoulder. Letting out a scream, I quickly rammed my elbow into the person's stomach, satisfied when they let out a groan. I turned around expecting to see the owner of the house but was shocked to be looking at Ivan.

"What on earth are you doing here" I whispered angrily, trying to catch my breath.

"I could ask you the same thing mia cara" he responded while rubbing where I elbowed him causing me to smirk.

"I came here to get answers for myself since the one person I trusted the most lied directly to my face when I asked about a subject that had to do with me" I snapped making it evident at how hurt I was that he lied to me last night. I watch his expression change to one of guilt as he attempted to grab my hand but I took a step back.

"Mia cara, I didn't want to tell you because I wasn't sure if what Ryan found was accurate nor did I want you to be in danger because of it" he explained but I shook my head in disagreement.

"That wasn't your choice to make Ivan, you should have told me the minute you found anything useful about my father" I answered annoyed at his lack of trust in me.

"You're right and I'm sorry but you knew everything that I knew about your father considering you were listening in on our conversation last night" he responded and I was slightly offended at his word choice.

"I wouldn't have needed a reason to be nosy if you had been honest with me in the first place" I shouted before turning around and walking out of the house. I could hear his heavy footsteps following me which made me quicken my pace. For the second time today, a hand clasped around my shoulder and turned me around fast enough to give me whiplash,

"What do you want Ivan" I sighed dejectedly, crossing my arms over my chest for comfort.

"Please don't be angry with me mia cara, I did what I thought was necessary" he pleaded as his eyes searched mine for any signs of forgiveness.

"I'm not angry with you, I'm just disappointed that we'd gotten this far in our relationship yet you're still keeping secrets from me. Guess I didn't know you as much as I thought" I answered turning around once more but this time he didn't follow.

I got outside and began walking, hoping that I'd be able to clear my head before I got to any familiar surroundings. The neighborhood seemed eerily quiet for any city in New York but I continued walking nonetheless.