Chapter 22

Benjamin checked in with Elaine frequently by phone. Their time was limited because other Barnard students were waiting to use the phone. Elaine found she looked forward to these brief conversations. During the demonstration, they mostly talked about the developments concerning the protesters. After the demonstrators were arrested, they started talking about themselves.

"So you're a journalism major at Columbia?"

"Actually, I'm working on my Master's degree in the School of Journalism. I'm interested in social movements and I started going to SDS meetings to learn about the student movement against the war."

"That's why you always keep abreast of what is happening at the demonstration even though you're not participating?"

"That's a large part of it. My thesis will be a piece of investigative journalism on the student movement. I do have a personal interest in not getting drafted. I really am against the war."

"Is that why you talk to me? Am I a part of your investigative journalism?" The thought bothered Elaine more than she would have expected.

"Well, my conversations with you give me insight into how students not participating in the demonstrations experience the issues and look at the protests. But you are kind of half in, half out, not a good example for me to quote. I talk to you because I like your company, ideals and conversation."

"Thank you. I think I like your ideals, too. I remember the first time we met and you said that bringing out the truth can correct problematic situations and that was why you wanted to be a journalist."

"That is true. All the protests that are going on now are bringing attention to issues people just don't think about and are unaware of. I think good investigative journalism can do the same thing without the downsides of some of the demonstrations."

"Marches and rallies can be sources of community, not just violence."

"I agree. I haven't been to as many demonstrations as I think I should experience. I'm kind of an outsider. This is my first year in the Master's program, so my thesis may change by the time I finalize it."

"It sounds like an interesting thesis, but people are lining up to use the phone now. We have to cut it short."

"How would you like to go Central Park on Saturday? It's supposed to be nice weather then."

"That sounds nice."

                                                                                              ***

Elaine and Benjamin took the subway to 59th Street/Columbus Circle and walked in the park toward Fifth Avenue. Elaine had heard that Central Park was dangerous, but there were a lot of people there, none of whom looked intimidating to Elaine. Besides, she felt safe in Benjamin's company. She trusted his judgment. Benjamin said he wanted to go sit by the pond. Elaine didn't know much about Central Park, so she was glad Benjamin knew where he wanted to go.

As they approached the pond, Elaine said, "This is a nice way to spend a day before preparing for finals."

"Yes, it's hard to believe that classes are just about over for this year."

They stopped walking for a moment and looked into each other's eyes. Benjamin's big brown eyes looked affectionate and Elaine felt a surge of energy when she looked into them. Elaine and Benjamin sat down on a bench and faced the pond.

Elaine said, "I stayed for the year. Did I tell you I almost dropped out after that first SDS meeting?"

Benjamin took Elaine's hand into his.

"No, I didn't know that. There's a rumor that Columbia is dropping out of IDA. And work on the gym has stopped."

"That's good, but not good enough. The university still has defense and foreign affairs contracts with the government, and is still expanding into the Harlem area, displacing residents, from what I have heard."

Benjamin turned to face Elaine. "What made you decide to stay?"

Elaine looked back at him. Their eyes met again. Elaine wondered if Benjamin felt as strongly about her as she did about him.

"I want to do something meaningful with my life, and a college degree is important in starting a career."

Benjamin nodded. "What do you think you'll do when you graduate?"

"I want to teach. I've been tutoring a girl who was flunking but is now doing better in her schoolwork and reads books her free time. I think she is going to do even better next year. It is important that everyone get an equal chance at an education."

"So you're majoring in education?"

"English. I can only minor in education, then do my graduate degree in education."

"You know, if you can do well in Barnard, you could go just about anywhere. Why don't we research universities to find one more in line with our beliefs of what a university should be? We could both transfer together."

"How would we research that?"

"I'm preparing to be an investigative journalist. If I can't do that, I'm not going to be very successful in my career."

"You would do that? Research universities and change schools with me?" Elaine dropped Benjamin's hand and hugged him. She was giddy at the prospect. He hugged her back. Then they both let go and smiled at each other.

"Sure. Why not? I can find other universities that offer comparable programs and are transparent in their budgets. I'd like that as much as you would."

                                                                                       The End