Chapter 4

Elaine and Victoria walked about five blocks to the apartment the Columbia students lived in. Four guys were staying in a two bedroom apartment. Victoria said she was acquainted all four, and they were nice guys, though not the type she would date. None of them had girlfriends. There would be other guys there as well, some of whom Victoria didn't know. She said to expect a calm, sedate evening.

Elaine asked, "Why wouldn't you date these guys?"

Victoria said, "Well they are not especially good looking, and they are arrogant."

When they got to the apartment, there were about ten guys there. The guy who answered the door was Paul. He was medium height with short brown hair and brown eyes, a little overweight. Paul was a junior majoring in history. He hoped to go to law school when he graduated. Paul invited Elaine and Victoria in and offered them something to drink. They didn't have beer, but they did have jugs of cheap red and white wine and soda and potato chips. Elaine had a soda. Classical music played, not too obvious a selection. Elaine didn't recognize the piece but liked it. It gave the party a nice ambiance.

The guys were talking and laughing in circles. They all were dressed in dark slacks and oxford shirts. Most of them didn't wear ties, but their clothes were well pressed.

Paul introduced Elaine to someone named Walter, who gave the impression of being mousy. He was another junior, majoring in mathematics and hoping to work for IBM when he graduated. Paul left the two of them in a corner together. Nobody asked Elaine what her major was.

Almost as soon as Paul stepped away, Walter said to Elaine, "Girls go to college just to get an M-R-S."

"Pardon me, what was that? I'm an undergraduate."

"You know, they go to college to get married."

Elaine's mouth dropped. Walter grinned. After a moment, Elaine said, "Well I go to Barnard because I have a mind of my own and want to develop it before getting married."

Elaine hadn't thought of herself as someone to get married. She had nothing against marriage, but still thought of herself as too young. If Elaine wanted to find a husband at college, she could have gone to a co-ed school. Although Barnard students could take courses at Columbia with permission, and Columbia students could take Barnard classes, for the most part, her classes would be filled with other young women.

Walter said, "Sure, you're here for an education."

Elaine didn't want to spend the rest of the party talking to Walter. She looked around. Victoria was in what looked like a deep conversation with one of the other guys. Some other young women had arrived. Elaine was relieved that she and Victoria weren't the only girls there. Then Elaine saw a good looking guy with a muscular physique, short blond hair and a long face with round, dark framed glasses that made him look intellectual to her. She wondered if Victoria knew him.

Elaine said, "Excuse me," to Walter and went to the table with potato chips. Elaine was shy of introducing herself to other people at the party, so she focused on the potato chips and her soda.

The blond guy Elaine had admired came up to the table and took a soda.

"Hello," he said to Elaine. "My name is Jack. I don't think we've met. Are you new around here?"

"Yes. I'm a freshman at Barnard. My name is Elaine."

Jack held out his arm and they shook hands. Elaine liked him even more then.

"Are you from New York City?"

"No, I'm from Scarsdale. Where are you from?"

"I'm from Indiana. I guess you can tell I'm from the Midwest."

"No, I just figured most people coming to this party wouldn't be commuters. Are you in Columbia College?"

"Yes, I'm majoring in business. I want to go into finance. I know these guys because I'm taking a theater course with one of them. Acting classes are good for people who will make business presentations. What are your interests?" Their eyes met as after he asked the question. Jack seemed sincerely interested in the answer.

"I want to major in French translation, but I'm also interested in philosophy."

"That makes sense. You look cultured."

Elaine thought she must be blushing. She was embarrassed but glad he paid her a compliment.

"Thank you."

"Speaking of culture, I'm planning to go to some galleries tomorrow. Would you like to go with me? Lunch would be included."

"Sure, that sounds nice."

They talked for a while about their families. Neither of them had any brothers or sisters. Elaine's father was cardiologist. Her mother did a lot of community work. Jack's parents owned and ran a large supermarket. Jack seemed intensely interested in Elaine, which surprised and flattered her. She found herself very attracted to him.

Victoria approached them and said, "We should leave now, Elaine. We'll be locked out at eleven. I don't like to take chances."