Gone (Merthur)

Merlin sat in the corner of his room with his head in between his knees, arms wrapped around them. He had just came from Gaius's funeral two hours prior. He couldn't believe that Gaius is dead. He just couldn't. He was always there for Merlin when he needed him. Always there to support Merlin and always listen to Merlin's problems. No matter how stupid they were. And most importantly, Gaius was one of the few people who knew the real him and accepted him for who he is. Not his façade. Now, he has no one. His mother died a month earlier and he relied on Gaius to help him but now he has no Gaius to lean on. He only has himself. Kilgharrah had died three months back. Aithusa, has allied herself with Morgana so Merlin doesn't have her either. Everyone who knew and accepted Merlin's secret, was now gone. He was alone. Truely alone.

Merlin was close to breaking point. It seems that the only person he can keep alive, is Arthur. He couldn't save the few people who knew who he truely was. First Will, then Freya, then Balinor, then Lancelot, then Kilgharrah, then his mother and now Gaius. All gone. All dead. Gaius's last words rung in his head, 'You are a great and wise warlock Merlin. You have done so much good and one day, you will be acknowledged for your gifts. Do not lose faith Merlin. One day, you will receive the acknowledgement you deserve. My one regret, is that I won't be around to see it. Do not lose hope. I am... Proud of the man you have become. You are like a son to me. And I love you like one. Don't ever lose faith, my son.' With those words, he died. Merlin's door opened, and Arthur came into the room. It made Arthur's heart clenched to see Merlin like this, He sat down next him, and Merlin lifted his head.

"I'm so sorry Merlin. I truely am." He patted his back in a comforting manner. Before Merlin knew what he was doing, he curled into Arthur, his head buried into his shoulder and arms around his neck. Arthur was stunned at first, then wrapped his arms around the warlock's waist. "It's alright. It's alright." He rubbed his hands up and down Merlin's back as he grieved over the ones he lost. Arthur moved his head so it was resting against Merlin's.

After a few minutes of silence, Merlin whispered, "Thank you." against his neck, sending shivers down Arthur's spine. "Thank you." Merlin lifted his head slightly into those of his king. Before Merlin could stop himself, he leant forward and kissed Arthur. Arthur was stunned. When Merlin was about to pull away, Arthur kissed back. Merlin couldn't believe that this was actually happening. After years of dreaming about it, it was finally a reality. They felt sparks fly between them. Their lips moved in synchronisation with each others. Arthur deepened the kiss and they both fell into pure bliss. They pulled away for breath. They were breathing heavily. Merlin felt the ghost of Arthur's lips on his. Merlin smiled at Arthur and he smiled back. "You have no idea how much I wanted to do that." He whispered, breathing heavily.

"Same here." He whispered back. Arthur lifted his hand and caressed Merlin's cheek. Then Merlin frowned. "What's wrong?" Arthur asked softly.

"Nothing can happen between us. The people will never allow it." Merlin said sadly. "I want there to be. But, I know it can't." Merlin said looking away from Arthur.

"Look at me." Arthur said softly. Merlin looked at him. "I don't care what the people think. As long as I have you, that's all I can ever ask for."

"But Arthur-"

"No buts. It can be our secret." Arthur said to him. Merlin's eyes began to water. "Hey, no man is worth your tears, remember?" Arthur pulled Merlin close. Merlin hugged him tightly and the tears fell.

"I'm sorry." He spoke. Arthur was confused. Why is Merlin sorry? "I'm so sorry. I have lied to you. I have deceived you. Deceived you all. I'm sorry. I didn't want to. I swear I didn't."

"What are you talking about Merlin?" Arthur asked confused and concerned for Merlin.

"I... I have.,, I have m-magic." Arthur rubbed his hand up and down Merlin's back comfortingly.

"I know." Arthur whispered softly.

Merlin raised his head. "What?"

"I said, I know you have magic." Arthur repeated.

"H-how? How long?" Merlin asked. "How long have you known?"

"I've known for about two weeks. We were fighting some bandits and I saw you use magic to make those tree branches fall that saved mine and the knights lives. I was angry and I felt betrayed at first, then I remembered all of the other times things like that happen 'coincidently' at the right time, and I realised that they weren't coincidental at all. They were you, weren't they?" Merlin nodded. He was in shock. Arthur knows. And he accepted him. Merlin's face split into the most genuine smile he had ever had and hugged Arthur tightly. Arthur hugged back just as tightly. "You don't have to hide anymore. I'm already making arrangements for the law to be changed. But it won't be for a while yet. It's a slow process considering it's been outlawed for more than 20 years." Arthur said. "I promise you won't have to live in fear again." Merlin leant back slightly and kissed Arthur again.

"Thank you." Merlin breathed against Arthur's lips, when they pulled away for air. "Thank you."

"There is nothing to thank." Arthur said, pulling Merlin close. "I love you, Merlin."

"I love you, Arthur." Merlin replied. They both stayed like that for the remainder of the day and through the night, sharing soft kisses and enjoying each other's company.