Unexpected turn (Merthur)

Merlin was sitting on his bed throughout the night. He could not sleep. When the moon was at it's highest, Merlin gave up on sleep as it appears to evade him. Merlin looked out of the small window and looked at the moon. It was full tonight and it shone silver light upon Camelot. Merlin smiled absent-mindedly. He loved the moon. His smile faded as his thoughts went back to thoughts that has plagued him for over three years now. His feelings for Arthur Pendragon that go way beyond friendship. The man is a complete prat, but Merlin couldn't help but love him. It had started over three years ago when Merlin and Arthur went hunting...

*Flashback*

Merlin and Arthur were going on their weekly hunting trip. Merlin hated hunting but as he was manservant to the prince, he had to accompany him. Today they weren't going with the knights. Arthur mounted his horse as Merlin was doing his saddle.

"Hurry up Merlin we don't have all day." He said. Merlin rolled his eyes.

"Almost. Done."  He said tying the crossbow to his saddle. When he was done, he mounted his horse, and they galloped out of the citadel. When they reached the forest, Arthur became more at ease. Merlin knew that whenever Arthur was away from the castle, he could be himself. Merlin wished he had that privilege. He could never be himself in Camelot on pain of death and being executed wasn't on his agenda. Merlin frowned. He hated hiding who he really is to Arthur but he refuses to put Arthur in a position where he has to choose between him and his loyalty to Camelot and, most importantly, his father. Merlin was too busy milling around in his own thoughts, to notice that Arthur had stopped. He almost collided with the prince. He stopped his horse sharply. Arthur dismounted unsheathing his sword. Merlin used his mind's eye to see what Arthur's worrying about. He saw bandits not far from them. They were surrounded. Merlin's eyes went back to blue where he saw Arthur creeping forward. 'He is either very brave, or very stupid.' Merlin thought. "Arthur." He whispered trying to get the prince's attention. "Arthur." He whispered louder that time. Arthur seemed to register what he said because he turned around to look at Merlin. Arthur's eyes shone bright blue and seemed to sparkle with weariness and curiosity. The sight of the prince seemed to make Merlin's heart melt for some reason unknown to him. He was mesmerised with his eyes boring into his when Arthur's voice cut through his thoughts.

"What is it Merlin?"

Merlin mentally shook himself from those thoughts of his prince."Bandits." He said. And as he said it, fifty or so bandits jumped out of the tree line all pointing swords at Arthur and Merlin. Arthur started killing any bandit that he came across. Merlin using magic every now and then to make a branch snap, or the bandits Arthur are fighting trip or drop their swords. Everytime when a bandit came up to Merlin, he would use his magic to trip him up and knock him unconscious. Soon the remaining bandits fled.

When they were gone, Arthur said, "Come on, we'll set up camp for the night." Merlin looked at the sky and saw it was already sunset.

By the time camp was set up, it was already last light. Merlin was attempting to light the fire without magic but was failing. He made sure Arthur was still hunting and he murmered "Fòrbærnàn" his eyes flashed gold and along with the warming sensation, the fire was lit. He was tending to the horses when Arthur returned. He placed the rabbits by the fire ready for skinning and cooking. Merlin moved onto the skinning of the rabbits. When they were done, Merlin cooked them over the fire. It was all done in silence. When Merlin sat down again, he could feel Arthur's eyes on him and turned to meet the gaze. Again he found himself mesmerised in those sparkling blue eyes. His skin was a nice peach colour and his parted lips looked kissable. Merlin, for the first time since Freya, felt his heart beating faster. The flames of the fire reflected on Arthur's face which looked beautiful and enchanting. Merlin tore his eyes away from Arthur reluctantly as he felt his face heat up. He turned to the fire and pretended to look busy.