Chapter Fifty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Are you g-going to hurt me?" She whimpered, leaning away from my touch.

"No, no kitten. I would never ever hurt you. I'm in love with you, and you're in love with me." I explained to her, pressing a delicate kiss to her forehead. This time she didn't flinch away, and her eyes fluttered closed.

"Why can't I remember anything?" She whined. Her terrified voice made my chest tighten.

"I don't know princess, you're just a little stressed out. Everything will soon come back to you I promise."  I said to her, but I was trying to convince myself of this as well.  If it doesn't come back to her. . . I can't even begin to explain what I would do.

My lungs felt like they were going to collapse as Brooke crawled back over to her seat, leaning her head on the window. I took a deep breath before revving the engine back up.

I wanted to drive back to Manhattan and hopefully be able to schedule an appointment with Dr. Piekarski to help Brooke. He was trustworthy, and he knew Brooke before she lost her memory so it may be a bit easier on her brain.

Does that even make any sense?

I'm blabbering nonsense, just because I'm so scared. Amnesia doesn't always go away, sometimes you have to start from the beginning in making relationships with that person. I don't think I'm ready for that. I need Brooke's love and support everyday, it will be so horrible if she can't even remember any conversation we've ever had.

Including the one where she confessed her love to me.

* * *

We rolled into the hospital parking lot after the longest three hour drive of my life. Brooke was fast asleep, so I jogged over to her side and picked her up into my arms. Conrad followed behind slowly, but ran ahead to open the door for me. I bowed my head in a thank you, stepping into the hospital. I walked over to the desk, knocking on it obnoxiously.

The lady who appeared to be mid forties looked up over her reading glasses. "May I help you?"

"Yes, where is Dr. Piekarski?" I asked, looking down to make sure Brooke was still asleep.

"He's busy, but I can assign you another doctor?" She offered, clicking away on her computer.

"No, I really need to see him. I'm an old friend I just need to ask him one simple question." My short temper started to kick in, as this lady wouldn't tell me where the fuck he was. My patience is always limited, and it great extremely low when it comes to anything Brooke wants or needs.

"Sir, I would really like to help you but-"

"Listen lady," I growled lowly, leaning closer to her. "I don't have time for anyone's bullshit right now, especially yours. Now, are you going to tell me where Dr. Piekarski is or am I going to have to walk all around this fucking building myself?"

She gulped slowly, taking a short glance back at her computer. "Sixth floor, room 639."

I raised my eyebrows, "Now was that so hard?" I gave her a fake smile before turning away from the desk. Conrad was already standing by the elevator, waiting for my orders.

"Floor six." Conrad nodded, pressing the '6' causing it to light up. It was probably just my nerves, but the elevator felt so fucking slow I probably could've climbed up the side of the building faster.

The elevator finally dinged and I sprinted out of it, looking for number 639. I turned right, finally coming face to face with exactly who I was looking for.

"Dr. Piekarski!" I breathed out in relief, my chest heaving rapidly.

His eyes widened, looking at a sleeping Brooke in my arms. "Oh my! What happened?" He ushered us into the room, the patient he had at the moment lucky had finished putting his cast on, leaving Dr. Pierarski free.

"Brooke went through a very traumatic time and she has amnesia." When I finally said this out loud, the tears sprung at my eyes. Reality smacked me in the face, and it smacked me hard.

My knees felt weak as I laid Brooke on the hospital bed. She stirred lightly, her beautiful blue eyes fluttering open. She looked around the small room, her eyes filled with confusion. Dr. Piekarski sat down on a rolling leather chair, giving her a warm smile.

"Hello Brooke, I'm Dr. Piekarski, do you remember me at all?" I'm glad Dr. Piekarski had such a friendly, welcoming aura to him. I could tell Brooke felt comfortable and not at all pressured to answer his questions.

"Take your time, kitten." I reminded her, softly resting my shaking hand on her shoulder.

"Jason, do you mind stepping out for a moment? I can tell you're extremely stressed out and that's really not helping Brooke at the moment."

I inhaled a shaky breath before quickly turning and walking out of the room. I slammed my back against the wall, sighing in defeat. My knees felt like jello as I slid down the wall, my ass making hard contact with the cold marble flooring.

Conrad walked over to me, sliding down so he was sitting next to me.

"You know what my favourite saying is?" Conrad suddenly spoke up, turning his head to face me.

"No why would I fucking know that?" I scoffed.

"It's 'everything happens for a reason.' Because I believe that's true. Everything bad that happens in your life, is for a reason, and same goes with the good things." Conrad stared ahead at the wall in front of us. "Whatever the outcome of Brooke's amnesia is - good or bad - there's a reason behind it."

"You know what my favourite saying is?" I cocked my head so I was staring at the ceiling.

"What is it?"

"'Life is a disappointment.'"

________________________

thank you all for the support and love and sticking with the story and I even through all of my bullshit lmfao MUCH LOVE <3333

-Steph