The Humane Monsters

Start from the beginning

"Come Osbert, the dawn is fading to day lets return." She called.

Ravn smiled as he could hear children playing, Khaana found herself smashed beneath 3 little attackers Uhtred, Brida and Thyra daughter of Ragnar Ravnsson. "Get her! Slew the frost dragon!" Uhtred called out.

Khaana played along careful not to harm the children as she snapped her jaws in fake attacks.

Ragnarsson watched her from his bed in the corner of the long house. A slight smile on his face, she would never admit it but he could tell she was having just as much fun as the children were. While he was having a grand time watching the silliness unfold.

It had been a long time since laughter filled his families home. His baby sister seemed pleased to finally have playmates. There weren't many children in their settlement yet. Most of the Dane which had come were warriors, warriors who left their family behind for safety. There were a few wives who followed their husbands but of those - few had children.

Kjartan had a son, and there was three other boys about Thyra's age. But she wasn't the sort of little girl who enjoyed being around rough and tough boys. Of course like any little Dane girl she had dreams of finding a man with the heart of a fighter, though she was softer and kinder and enjoyed the company of those with similar hearts.

There was no one more fitting than the three she found herself playing with at this moment.

After hours of playing Khaana sat quietly allowing the children to use her as a pillow. "You're great with them." Ragnarsson called to her. Khaana looked at him and in a blink, a woman lay on her stomach on the floor, covered in a black fur cloak, the childrencs head resting on her back.

"Because I am not mortal I cannot care for lesser creatures?" Khaana questioned. Ragnarsson rolled his eyes "I meant no offence, it is a good quality. Powerful but gentle." He said. Khaana sized him up with her eyes and smirked. "Unlike some." She mused. Ragnarsson looked mildly taken back as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I could be gentle...." He said in a suggestive tone which caused Khaana's smirk to turn into a playful smile "my dear, I meant powerful." She mused. Ragnarsson scowled "I am powerful." He growled. "You've not shown me." She said.

"Would you dare to leave the wasp on his own, I would - could show you." Ragnarsson said his voice low, hushed and husky. Khaana eyed him up and down, she enjoyed playing with the fact yhat he'd wanted her. But after her capture and the removal of her wings - she'd never trusted any man. Nor would she ever gain.

With a coy smile, Khaana took the form of the hound yet again. "Osbert is mine, and I will not leave the pup unattended, not for anyone." She said. Khaana lay her head down and closed her eyes. Ragnarsson deflated and grimaced "what binds you so to this child? It is as if you'd birthed him." He muttered. "I did not weild the sword but it is I that took his parent from him. So it is I in good honnor who must raise him. I made the king a promise. I will protect the pup." She said.

"Yes but for how long? Until he is of age?" Ragnarsson asked pointedly. "Why do you care?" Khaana asked in a bored tone. "He is saxon!" He said voice slightly raised.

Surely the pagan creature had to understand this? What was wrong with this? Ragnarsson wanted her to be granted her freedom, to redeem Khaana in the gods eyes but he could not help her if she'd go against them. Making promises to Saxons? Raising their young?

"The gods will not grant you back your wings." Ragnarsson sighed, rubbing his temples. Khaana popped one eye open. "Do not concern yourself young Ragnar. Peace, I know what it is I do." Khaana said at her words it fell silent, witha bit of a huff Ragnarsson hopped to his feet and rushed out of the longhouse.