Chapter 2

Sunlight streamed into my face, making me groan and rollover. I- sadly- couldn't fall back asleep, so I sat up. I noticed that some blood had gotten onto the armchair, probably from me.

I could hear people talking from the kitchen. I hoped that I could slip out without being noticed. I knew I needed to leave- just because those boys were nice last night didn't mean they would be today, although I doubted their personalities would change much. But, I could hear voices I didn't recognize coming from the kitchen, and I didn't know if I could trust them.

Sitting up, I saw someone new sitting on the couch, entranced by the TV. He was younger and had long-ish hair. I couldn't tell if his hair was red or not and it began to bother me.

He eventually looked over at me and jumped when he saw me staring back.

"H-hey, uh, does your face feel alright?" he asked nervously.

I nodded. Looking around, I said quietly, "Tell Darry and Two-Bit I said thanks for the help, but- uh- I had to leave 'cause... of... reasons. Thanks." I got up off the armchair and walked towards the door quickly. Turning around, I added, "Sorry 'bout the blood on the armchair."

The boy shrugged. "It's an old stain."

Before I reached the door, someone yelled from behind me, "You leavin'?! You ain't even met the sexiest member of the gang yet!"

I turned around slowly. The guy had black hair and a chipped tooth right in the front of his mouth.

Someone else ran past the black-haired boy. This one was really handsome. He kinda looked like the youngest boy but older and hotter.

"Hey!" the handsome one yelled excitedly.

I waved weakly at them. "Hi. Uh, I gotta go home now... so, um, nice to meet ya'll..."

The door opened behind me. Two-Bit walked in with a case of beer. "Just stole this from the gas station- no, not the DX. Anyone want a drink?"

"Your lady friend's tryin' to leave, Two-Bit!" the black-haired one yelled, smirking at Two-Bit.

I felt my face and ears turn red. "I ain't his lady friend, thanks."

"Yeah, she made that clear last night," Two-Bit joked. "You sure you wanna leave?"

"Yeah, I got places to be." I smiled sadly, shrugging.

The handsome one said suddenly, "At least shower. No offense, but you don't look too good with blood all over you."

I realized he was probably right. No, definitely right. I'd be arrested and thrown in the looney bin if someone saw me wandering around Tulsa with blood covering me.

"Yeah, I'll shower. Thanks," I said, flashing him a smile.

"Bathroom's over here. And by the way, my name's Sodapop. That over there-" he pointed to the black-haired one- "is Steve. And Ponyboy's sittin' on the couch. Johnny's in the kitchen, eatin'."

"I'm Ava. Nice to meet you," I said automatically. "I'll try to hurry in the shower. I don't wanna hold anyone up or anythin'."

Two-Bit laughed loudly. "Like we got anythin' to do."

I showered quickly. I was glad that all the guys here were nice, but I knew I would have to leave soon anyway. Dad would want me back home in another day or two, and if he somehow found out that I'd spent the night at some random guy's house, the results would not be pretty.

When I got out, the boys gave me some food, and Ponyboy lent me a shirt. I wolfed the food down quickly, barely pausing to breathe.

"You always eat that fast?" Steve snickered, pausing the poker game that he and Sodapop were playing.

"No, it's just that I ain't eaten for a while. You always that rude?" I joked, rolling my eyes. "I was gonna keep my mouth shut 'bout the ace you slipped up your sleeve, but..."

Sodapop threw down his cards. "You damn cheater!"

"You cheat all the damn time!"

Soda threw his hands in the air. "No, I don't!" He slammed them down on the table, causing a loud bang. A card slipped out from under his flannel. His eyes widened and flickered down to the card.

Steve yelled, "You're the fuckin' cheater!"

"I- I didn't know that was there!" Soda yelled quickly, shrugging.

"Everyone! Shut the HELL UP! MICKEY MOUSE IS ON!" Two-Bit screamed. He burped loudly as silence encased the house again, except for the sound coming from the TV and my muffled laughter.

Honestly, I don't think I'd laughed that much in a long time. These guys were hilarious- and they didn't even mean to be. 

Dumping my plates into the sink, I yelled, "I think Sodapop didn't know the card was up his sleeve!"

"Thank you! You're the only person in this house with any damn common sense!"

"Please explain how the hell a card managed to get up your sleeve without you puttin' it there," Steve yelled angrily.

"Magic," said Soda wistfully.

I heard a bit of a ruckus, and when I looked back at them, they were arm wrestling heatedly. It looked like they did that often so I just ignored it. After I washed my dishes, I went out into the living room where Ponyboy and Johnny were playing cards at the table peacefully while Two-Bit intently watched Mickey Mouse and drank beer.

I sat on the armchair and watched both the card game and Mickey Mouse, occasionally giving Ponyboy hints.

After Mickey shut off, Two-Bit jumped up. "Do you wanna go to the party?" he asked loudly, looking at me. "We all are. It's gonna be a good time."

"I can't. Really. I gotta go home."

Two-Bit looked a bit disappointed. "Well, nice meetin' you, Ava. If you ever get hurt again, you can come on by here. The door ain't ever locked."

"Yeah, Two-Bit, just go tell everyone in the neighborhood that the door ain't locked," Ponyboy muttered, rolling his eyes. "But, Ava, you can come back by if you want."

I nodded. "Y'all might see me again."

"Well, I'm lookin' forward to it," Two-Bit claimed happily. "You want a beer for the road?"

"Nah, I don't drink much, but thanks." I walked out of the door but didn't head in the direction of my house. I started to walk towards Stacey's house. I figured I would crash there for a night, then see if going home was a good decision.