Chapter 54

I was sitting in a chair in the garden, dressed in a blue dress that flowed past my ankles. Mom had insisted that she braid flowers into my hair, and as the pollen seemed to go straight in my nose I resisted the urge to sneeze. My face looked better than normal, makeup covering blemishes and acne.

Dallas was almost asleep next to me, head propped up on his hand. His tuxedo looked good-good enough to make girls his age at the wedding stare- and his hair was slicked back perfectly. 

The priest kept droning on and on, seeming like he might just keep talking forever. 

It was deathly silent, save the priest's bored voice. Everyone was too polite to interrupt.

I wanted so badly to zone out, but I couldn't. Every time I would let my guard slip, something in the back of my mind would remind me that dad knew the time of the wedding and where it was. I would look at the entrance, then scan everyone's face two or three times. 

I could only hope he wouldn't show up. James said he made it clear that there would be consequences if dad had the nerve to come, but dad was a dumb and angry drunk. If he got it in his head to come, he just might do it. 

Dallas snapped awake. 

"Is it over?" he mumbled. I shook my head. 

After twenty more minutes, the priest asked if there were any objections. I saw James' mom and Carter give each other a look, but neither had the balls to say anything. 

They kissed. Everyone stood up and cheered. 

I clapped and thought about the cake. If they smeared it all over each other before I got the chance to try it, I would be pissed. 

After the ceremony, most of the adults headed to the open bar set up on the lawn. It was good the sky was clear- if it rained, there went the alcohol, which would make for a wedding fail of epic proportions.   

The kids were monitored to make sure they didn't sneak anything. Dal and I talked to a few people, the hours dragging on. Some adults we were now related to, all with drinks, came over to us and tried to be nice, but came off as stiff and uncomfortable as if Dally and I were a different breed. In a way, we were. 

After the wedding, mom and James went off to their room. I went to mine and started packing. 

I was leaving in the morning, and nothing could stop me. 

"Get it together," Dallas snapped, throwing my hairbrush at me. I had left it in the bathroom. "We're supposed to be in the car by now." 

I threw it in my bag, mimicking him under my breath. 

I walked out of our room, Dal at my heels. After he stepped on the back of my shoe, I stepped to the side and pushed him in front of me. 

We got outside, mom and James waiting to drive us back. Mom had already tried to talk us out of leaving. 

The entire way in the car, she tried to convince us to stay a few days longer. She and James weren't going on their honeymoon for another month because James had to work, so they could let us stay up in New York until school started. 

I knew I didn't want to. I wanted to go back home to Tulsa and back to the gang. 

Dally, who had always liked mom more than I had, was considering staying. He would never say so, but I could see it in his face. I didn't know why he would want to leave the gang more than he already had to. 

When we finally got to the station, mom was almost crying. 

"You'll have so much fun up here," she continued. "You can see the city." 

"Mom, I'll come back up another time," Dally said. "I have to go home with Ava right now." 

"Yeah, me too," I muttered, watching as James picked up my bag. I was going to get it myself, but if he wanted to, he was more than welcome. 

Mom hugged Dal and me and let us go. 

Two days later, we were at home. Buck was supposed to be there to pick us up- Dallas had called him from the station- but Tim Shepard was there instead.

"He asked me to get you two 'cause he was asleep," Tim explained shortly, walking to his car. "Where you wanna go?"

"Buck's." Dallas got into the passenger's side upfront.

I got in behind him. "What about the-"

"We'll see them later," Dally mumbled. He hadn't been in a very good mood since the day we left New York. I chalked it up to the train ride.

I showered at Buck's and unpacked my stuff, throwing it in a corner of Dally's room while he showered.

At the bottom of my bag, I found an envelope. My name was written on the front.

Opening it, a folded note fell out.

I unfolded it, seeing green inside.

A few bills were inside with a handwritten note.

Ava, this is from James and I. We hope it will be enough money so you have to spend none of your own until you see us next.

Love, mom.

I counted the money, finding five twenties and a hundred. I shoved it in my pocket and ripped up the note, worried that someone may see it and take the money.

I could buy anything I wanted.

What did I want?

I didn't know, but when I figured it out, I would buy it.

I heard the water of Dal's shower stop. I turned away from my bag, trying to act like nothing had happened.

I wondered if they had given him anything. How did they get it in my bag, anyway? It didn't matter. 

"Hurry, Dallas!" I called, pounding on the door to the bathroom. "Let's go see everyone!"

"Fuck off!" 

I sat on his bed. When he got out of the shower, I grinned. 

"I'm gonna take the gang to the Dingo for dinner. It's on me," I sang. "Wanna come?" 

He smiled at me. I could see he had forgotten, even if it was only for a second, how angry he was at Two-Bit. And, how he was supposed to still be mad at me. I'd found out on the train that I'd gotten over that argument. 

"Yeah, I'll come."