My Peace, Like Shattered Glass

"Ow!"

"That's why I wear gloves," Iris teased gently as she smoothed a Band-Aid over the badly stinging cut that Jessica had obtained when trying to rip open a box—it was basically a papercut, but when it was caused by cardboard, the pain was considerably more; as was the amount of blood that had welled up to the surface of the cut.

"I thought that was to hide the mark," Jessica admitted quietly, her low voice deliberately making sure that their coworkers didn't hear what she said. "You're always wearing them."

"This is the fourth time you've cut yourself this week," Iris pointed out in counterattack, causing the younger woman to flush in embarrassment before she simply shrugged her shoulders. There was no defense against that. Iris shook her head with a gentle smile, collecting the garbage from disinfecting and covering the cut, tossing them into the nearby trashcan of the office. "You should get a pair, you know. Boxes and books don't just cause papercuts, but they dehydrate your hands as well. Wearing a pair of these will stop that."

"Don't rub it in," Jessica grumbled half-heartedly. Iris just gave that same smile as she stood up.

"I know it's a bit earlier than usual, but why not take your break now?" Iris asked instead, briefly checking the time on the bottom of the office computer's screen. Jessica agreed easily, happy to get off shift and eat something. The two women went their separate ways once they left the office, Iris making her way back into the store as she smiled to her coworkers and reclaimed her place behind the register.

She knew they were whispering about her, confused by why she was constantly smiling and always seemed to be happy. Not that she'd been doom and gloom before, but they couldn't remember a time when she had smiled and showed her happiness so openly and constantly. Jessica was still the only one to know about her marks—or at least the fact that there is more than one—but they had all been able to notice the change in their manager in the past few weeks. She'd gotten worse, to the point that she had been forced to take time off, before she miraculously got better.

There were still days when they could tell she hadn't slept well, for whatever reason, but they were few and far between.

Iris wasn't able to see her soulmates every day, try as either of them might, but they spoke constantly. She would wake up to emails from whoever was in the light that day, but she would usually write to all of them every morning—she hated feeling like any of her soulmates were being neglected. Continuing to do this as more and more of them are met, she isn't sure, but she knows that she will go out of her way to make sure they are all...loved. Welcomed and acknowledged for their individuality.

It was surprisingly difficult to focus on her work—she had never had anything in her life to distract her before. Even fear of her parents had bled away after a time, but her soulmates were ever present on her mind.

Absentmindedly, Iris stroked a fingertip over the mark on the back of her palm.

They were all so different, it made her wonder who else was in the body of Kevin Crumb. When would she meet Hedwig, the supposed child? Or Jade, a younger female than Patricia?

"Looks like the cold-front has arrived," Sarah called from the front window, a box perched on her hip as she glanced back toward Iris. The young woman's eyes turned to the window, blinking in shock at the white-out of flurries that had overtaken the view outside the storefront.

Her face pinched slightly uncomfortably, knowing that her walk home was going to be horrendous. "That's gunna be so cold," she mumbled to herself, but it was loud enough for Sarah to hear. It had been chilly enough on the walk in to work, heading home through the snow was going to be so much worse. Sarah gave her a pitying look before she turned to get back to work.