Chapter 68

Aelin looked down at the grass bracelet, dotted with small yellow flowers, that Rowan had braided for her last night. She had wanted to keep her distance, or else making the lock would only be that much harder, but... Her heart cracked at the pain her mate was in, and she could only hope that her younger self would be able to pick up the pieces once this was all over. 

Aelin sighed heavily through her nose. She thought back to their conversation before they had agreed to the picnic, he had seemed to dead set on keeping her from making the lock... Then he had suddenly changed his mind. Maybe he had just realized how futile it was to fight her decision, or maybe he was planning some kind of sabotage to save her. She just hoped he wouldn't do anything stupid.

On top of this grassy knoll she could see far enough to spot the ever growing army on the other side of the plains, and she kept watching it as a reminder for exactly why she had chosen death instead of hundreds of years with her mate. She turned towards their own camp, and began to walk back. She needed to prepare.

_______________________________________  

Rowan walked inside Aelin's tent as casually as he could, and made sure the tent flap was properly closed before he took in the interior. He quietly made his way towards her bags, and crouched down to carefully rummage through them. Where the hell are they? Could she possibly be carrying the keys on her? No, he didn't think that was the case. They had spent many hours together, and he had not even once sensed the keys. Just as he could not sense them now either.

He rose up and headed for the box on the small table that was barely big enough for one person. He paused, and listened carefully and sniffed the air. Nothing. She wasn't coming back yet. He gingerly opened the box and peered inside. Necklaces, earrings and other trinkets filled the confides of the box, but no keys, he couldn't sense them here either. He sighed, where else could she have hidden them?

_______________________________________  

Aelin tightened the straps that kept her vambrace in place, then stuffed her hands into her armored gloves. Her cuirass was of fine Fae make, decorated with swirls of fire and embers. Spectacular was the only way to describe it, and she grinned as she looked down at herself. They would win this war, and she would look damn good while doing it.

She left her tent and headed straight for Sam. They had different places to be once the marching started, and she wanted one last kiss, or kisses, before finding her post. People were scurrying about, soldier helping each other with their armors, the sound of sharpening of blades filled the air, and hugs and handshakes were given. She tried not to think about how some, maybe even many, of these men would never walk off that killing field. Their families waiting at home for a father, brother, husband or son who would never return to them.

She pushed down the sorrowful thought, and entered Sam's tent. «Need some assistance with any out-of-reach-straps?» she asked as she stepped inside. Sam looked up and grinned at her.

«As a matter of fact, I do. I can't get to those on my back.» he said, and she strode in and took up a position behind him. She began tightening the ones on the bottom of the cuirass, and worked her way up to his neck where she tied the straps in a secure knot. 

«There. That should do it.» she said and clapped his shoulder. He turned around and snaked his arms around her waist. She brought her arms around his neck, then kissed him deeply. «Be careful out there, Sam.» she whispered against his lips. 

«I will, I have a very good reason to stay alive.» he said, and kissed the tip of her nose. «You be careful too, Aelin.» 

«I'll be fine, you don't need to worry about me.» she said, smiling slightly. «I'm looking forward to showing you my childhood home, which will be your home now too.»

«I'm looking forward to it, my love.» his smiled deepened, then he kissed her again, slowly forcing her mouth open and her toes curled inside her armored boots when their tongues touched. A slight purr made its way up her throat, and Sam smiled against her lips, then pulled away.

«I better get part two to this after the battle.» she murmured, «I'd rather do it right now, but it took forever to put this armor on.»

Sam chuckled. «I was thinking the same thing. Let's meet here afterwards. It's a date.» he said, and winked at her. She laughed softly.

«It's a deal. I have to go to my post now,» she pecked another kiss on his lips. «I love you, Sam.»

«I love you too, Aelin.» his eye sparkled as he spoke those wondrous words, so she kissed him once more before leaving his tent, and then headed towards her designated area and troops.

_______________________________________

Aelin fiddled with her grass bracelet as she entered her tent. It was probably time to put on her own armor, seeing as the enemy was getting closer by the minute. She pulled the tent flap aside and walked in, but then paused as Rowan stood inside, hands behind his back, and grinning like an idiot.

«Don't you have an army to lead?» she asked, but she couldn't keep a smile from growing on her face. He had been so sweet yesterday, with the picnic, the sweets and then making that bracelet. The bracelet she would wear to the end of her days.

«I just wanted to see if you wanted some help with the armor. They can be a real pain to get into.» he said. She shrugged, especially straps on the back could be tricky, but she was capable of doing it on her own anyway. 

«Sure, thank you, Rowan.» she said, and his grin spread wider. She suspected that it was just an excuse to spend a bit more time with her before the inevitable end. She quickly began to strip off her clothes, and then started to pull on her fighting clothes followed by the numerous armor pieces. Rowan helped her tighten the cuirass, and tied it securely. Sparks shot through her veins whenever his fingers brushed her skin, but she ignored it. If she gave in to those feeling... well, she simply could not, too many lives relied on her making that lock. Her ears perked up as someone approached the tent, but that someone did not enter.

«My King! Ilken and Witches are charging from the skies!» a soldier called out from outside the tent. She and Rowan shared a quick glance. It was beginning. He grabbed both sides of her face, then kissed her deeply.

«I love you, Aelin.» he whispered, before rushing out, shouting orders at the top of his lungs.

Her throat close up at his words, and she swallowed hard before she went to the box on the table. She opened it, then poured out all it's contents before pulling out the small cushions lining the inside of the box. Her heart stopped. Her breath caught in her throat. She stared wide eyed into the empty box.

The keys were gone. She turned towards the door were Rowan had left a moment before. She cursed violently under her breath, then ran out after the bastard.