Chapter 20

Aelin fought against the uneasy feeling in her gut as she strode down the sewers. She had snuck out while Sam and Rowan sparred on the roof, not because she didn't trust them or anything, but she wanted to do this on her own. Besides there was almost no risk involved anyway.

This morning she had received a not, stating a time and place. Which was where she was headed right now, clad from head to toe in black with a hood over her head. She went deep into the old sewers then into old passages following a path etched into her memories.

After weaving her way through the ancient corridors she now stood before an old bronze door knocker.

«Hello, Mort.» she said in greeting, but she didn't know if he would remember her. So far, only she, Dorian and Rowan remembered the original timeline. Well, her memories were spotty at best, but she managed well enough. The knocker blinked at her, then sighed the most overdramatic sigh she had ever heard.

«Messing with time itself now, are we? You must be the most lucky, reckless person I have ever met.» the knocker drawled at her. She placed her hands on her hips.

«For once I am innocent, this was not done by me.» she retorted. «Has anything of interest  happened lately?»

«No, it was supposed to be gloriously quiet for another year, but now you'll be bringing all the trouble with you as always.»

She just snorted, knocked three times on the door, so that he wouldn't scold her for bad manners again, and went inside. Mort chuckled quietly.

_______________________________________

Aedion stalked down the corridors of the glass castle. To say he was pissed of would not do it justice, the king had summoned him to Rifthold only to get a report on their progress in quenching the rebellion in the north. He sighed heavily through his nose. But he would have come anyway, now that he knew Aelin was in the city somewhere, hopefully. She mentioned no meeting points in the letter, so he was forced to wait around.

He rounded a corner and came face to face with the crown prince. Could he get away with punching his teeth in? Probably not.

«Good day, Prince.» He said though really did not wish to speak to the man.

«And good day to you as well, I was actually looking for you.» the prince smiled a courtly trained smile at him.

«And why is that, looking for the next party, perhaps?»

«No, I merely wished to walk with you. I found something quite interesting not long ago, and thought that it would be something you would enjoy. Care to join me?» the prince didn't wait for an answer as he turned and walked down a hallway. Aedion trailed after him.

While they walked Aedion tried to coax the prince into telling him some details of what this thing of interest was, but the prince just told him to wait and see. They entered someone living quarters, maybe the prince where offering some fine women. But the rooms where empty.

The prince strode into the bedroom.

«No offense, but I don't feel like jumping into bed with you, your highness.» he said jokingly.

«Likewise» he said with a grin, and pushed aside a tapestry cover the wall to reveal an old secret doorway. «Are you coming or not? No need to worry, this is just plain old exploration of old tunnels.»

They ventured into the dark tunnels, none of them had brought a light, though with his fae heritage he did not need one. The prince lifted a hand and a small ball of light came to life, lighting up the passage. Aedion blinked and gaped at the prince who turned and looked straight at him grinning like a hellion.

«Onward we go then.» Dorian said.

They walked in silence for a moment while Aedion wrapped his mind around the fact that the prince had magic, and even dared to use it in front of him. «Not afraid that I'll report to your father about that light of yours?»

«We're on the same side in this, Aedion. You wouldn't rat out an ally now, would you?» he chuckled slightly and stopped in front of a door with a bronze knocker the size of his palm. Before Aedion got to reply, the prince opened up the door widely and strode inside.

Speechless he took in the sarcophagi bathed in moonlight leaking in from the roof, which was decorated with trees and plants. He slowly stepped into the room gawking at his surroundings. Then someone jumped unto him from behind, limbs locking around him tightly.

_______________________________________

The door swung open and she put her back to the wall, hiding behind the now open door. When her cousin came into view she jumped quickly unto his back and wrapped herself around.

He reached to pull her off of him, to fight what he thought was an attacker, then he stiffened as she chuckled into his ear. She loosened her grip and slid down to place her feet on the ground.

«I promised you big hug, didn't I?» she smiled widely as she beheld the shock, surprise and growing happiness on his face. He mouthed her name and pulled her into an embrace, and he buried his nose in her hair breathing her in deeply.

«You're alive. You're real. I wasn't sure if...» he took a shaky breath and pulled away to look at her. He turned to Dorian. «You knew.» he said breathlessly, and Dorian chuckled.

«Surprise, my friend.» Dorian said gleefully.

«Wait, so you two work together?»

Aelin laughed and hugged him again before releasing him. «Yes, we are. And we have many things to do in the following weeks, many pieces that needs to fit perfectly together at the right moment.» she said while she slowly walked around towards Damaris.

«What are you... are you saying that...» he was completely flustered, barely able to make sensible sentences. Aelin lifted Damaris down from where it was displayed, then turned towards her cousin giving him a wild grin.

«Our allies are already gathering. I have correspondences with several potential new allies as well, and I've also called in debts owed to me. Yes, Aedion, we most definitely are. We will hit hard and fast, striking at vulnerable areas simultaneously bringing this demon infested empire to it's knees.» she sat down on top of Elenas sarcophagus and laid the ancient blade across her knees.

For hours she and Dorian filled Aedion in on everything they had planned thus far, and what role he would play which would be similar to last since he and Rowan had the advantage of keen eyes.

He would have to keep up his disguise of being loyal to the king a little while longer. But soon. Soon they would rattle the stars, and then they could finally go home.