Chapter 15

Awkward and tense would be the only fitting description as yet another staring match occurred between Rowan and Sam. They were seated around Freys kitchen table in her apartment above the store, with Sam seated beside her and the unwanted guests across from them. At least unwanted in her opinion, but Sam had invited them so she would have to play along.

She sighed silently. She had planned a small private and quiet lunch with Sam, where she would slowly build up to revealing her secret as Frey had adviced. But that was out of the question now.

She had never seen Sam like this, so overprotective and territorial with other men around. As the staring match continued Lysandra was the one to finally break the silence.

«So, Celaena, how did you and Rowan meet?» she asked sweetly.

Well they hadn't truly met until now, but apparently Rowan told them something else. Wondering why he would bother with such a lie she just answered as vague as she could.

«He's an old friend of the family.» she avoided looking at the strikingly handsome fae, which was an effort to do since he was seated right in front of her. «And when should we expect Arobynn to come striding in?»

«He won't,» Wesley was the one who answered. «because he's dead.»

Celaena blinked, at a loss for words. Of all the things he could have said, she had not expected that.

«How did that happen?» Sam asked, ending the staring match to look at Wesley, and she was keenly aware that the old brute's gaze went straight for her. She tried not to notice and instead focused Sams knee that brushed against her own.

Lysandra shifted slightly in her seat, and glanced at Rowan. «I did it. With Rowans help.»

«Really? You did it? What did you do, strangled him with those abnormally large breasts of yours?» Celaena asked mockingly, smirking at the courtesan. Lysandras nostrils flared as her eyes shot daggers at her.

«You know, Celaena, there's this little sharp object with a pointy end called a dagger. It's really easy to use, even for someone as dim as you.»

«Maybe I should try one of those, then preferably on your ugly face.» she retorted, and accidentally met Rowans eyes for a second before glaring at the courtesan again. She could have sworn the fae brute was struggling to keep a straight face.

«You would just miss again.» Lysandra said sweetly.

Celaena shot out of her seat ready claw that woman's face off, Sam instinctively grabbed her wrist to keep her from attacking. And Wesley stood and held a protective arm before Lysandra.

«Cool down, Fireheart, we're all friends here.» Rowan said in cool calm voice.

«The hell we are. Despite everything, I don't know you, and they are not my friends either.» Celeana hissed at Rowan, giving him a glare that would have sent a lesser man running. «And you don't get to call me that.»

Lysandra opened her mouth to give a nasty retort, but Rowan interrupted her.

«What do you mean 'despite everything'?»

She had said too much, hadn't meant to leak that information. So she just pulled her hand out Sams grasp and made for the door, but Sam came after her and stopped her before she got to leave the room.

«Cee, wait. Let's at least hear why they came, alright.» her heart stumbled at the nickname, it sounded so intimate, personal. She liked it, a lot. Her anger cooled as she met his eyes. «Give them five more minutes, please.» he said softly so only she would hear, and she was about to agree to his terms when Rowan spoke up again.