Three

"Phil," Caroline asked, staring at her feet as she shuffled them uncomfortably, "this is going to sound kind of pathetic, but can I hang out with you?"

She couldn't stand being alone anymore. For the past few weeks, she'd had to endure her own company far more than she was comfortable with, while her brother, who didn't seem to have the slightest bit of trouble making friends, was almost always out with them. Caroline hadn't really seen Jim since their encounter in the library, apart from the friendly waves he gave her whenever they passed each other in the hallway. She had been hoping so dearly that something would come of their conversation, but she realized that she'd been kidding herself. Jim wouldn't want someone like her, and he never would.

To say Caroline was bored was an understatement, there were only so many books she could read before she felt like she was going to lose her mind. She missed New York more than she could describe, and now she'd been reduced to asking her brother if she could tag along with him. She'd always been wary of Phil seeing her as his annoying little sister, and now that was exactly what she was acting like.

"Sure, Caroline." Phil, to his credit, didn't seem bothered by her request. "I'm heading over to a friend's place now, if you want to come."

"Really?" She couldn't stop a small smile from forming. "You mean you won't mind my tagging along?"

"Caroline," he said, "I know how hard this move has been for you. What kind of brother would I be if I didn't give you the opportunity to get out of the house and do something?"

"Thank you, Phil," she said, gratefully. "Is what I'm wearing okay?"

At that, her brother rolled his eyes. "I don't know," he said. "I mean, I guess?"

"Alright, fine," she muttered.

"Mom," Phil called out. "Caroline and I are going out."

Unsurprisingly, he was answered by silence. Caroline truly didn't know why he bothered. She had given up on her parents a long time ago, but Phil, for some reason, kept trying. It hurt her to see that, when her brother was the most amazing person she knew, but perhaps it was because he was so wonderful that he gave their parents endless chances.

"So where are we going?" Caroline asked, as the two of them made their way out the door.

"Not far," said Phil. "Just a few blocks away."

"This friend," she asked, "is it someone I know?"

"Yeah," he replied, "I think you've seen him around."

The walk really wasn't long, just over to Woodland Terrace. In about ten minutes, she found herself at the back door of a large, stone house.

Phil knocked a few times, and a few seconds later, a boy with neat, brown hair and round glasses opened the door.

"Hey, Phil," he said, greeting her brother warmly, before turning to Caroline.

"I'm Jeff," he introduced himself, holding his hand out for her to shake.

"Caroline," she said, briefly shaking his hand, before stepping inside and taking in the room in front of her.

She was in what appeared to be the basement of the house. Decorated sheets blocked off the sinks and washing machines that were off to the side of the room, and there were four wooden bookshelves that looked as though they held several hundred books. Some of the most original artwork she had ever seen was hanging up on the walls, and a small mattress was pushed into the corner of the room.

Phil and Jeff were outside, waiting to meet another one of their friends, so Caroline was left alone. Unsure of what to do with herself, she began examining one particular drawing that was hanging on the wall. It was a cartoon of a spear going through a man's stomach, and on the top was written: "It only hurts when I laugh."