SIX || WHY CAN'T WE JUST STAY OUT OF TROUBLE?

Darkness had fallen while Jughead and Fallon were in Crest Haven, so their ride back to Riverdale was shrouded by fog and the smallest sliver of moonlight. Fallon nearly nodded off because the ride was so quiet, but was shocked awake by the sound of a bullet whizzing past her left ear.

    "Holy shit!" She howled, swerving her bike to the right, Jughead giving a shout of alarm. She looked in one of her mirrors to see motorcycles behind them, and she knew it wasn't any one from Knox's crew. Her blood turned to ice in her veins when she heard Jughead yell. "Calaveras!"

    "Fuck!" She swore, ripping one hand off of her handlebars to reach inside her jacket, her fingers curling around the handle of her gun. "Who the hell tipped them off?"

    She and Jughead gunned their bikes faster, Fallon aiming behind her and popping off a round of shots in the direction of their pursuers. "Jesus Christ!" She heard Jughead shout, and she smirked when she heard the telltale sound of a tire blowing out. One of her shots had hit home. Loud curses in Spanish reached her ears as the bike she'd hit crashed, forcing many of the Calaveras bikers to stop or swerve around the wreck.

    About five bikers were tailing them now, and Fallon knew all of them were armed. "Go! Get in front of me!" She yelled at Jughead, but he refused. "No! If Sweet Pea finds out I let you die in a high speed firefight, completely outnumbered, he will never forgive me and neither will I!"

    "Ugh! You're fucking impossible!" She yelled back, and ducked as another bullet flew over her head. "Goddamnit, just do it!"

    On the contrary, Jughead pulled his new gun out of his holster and fired shot after shot at the Calaveras, at least two of them meeting their mark as two more bikes went down, one of them hitting a gas tank. Flames engulfed the road behind them with a blinding explosion, Fallon letting out a whoop of victory. "Jesus!" Jughead howled, his fear a stark contrast to Fallon's hysterical laughter.

    "Why are you laughing?!" He yelped as they rode on, Fallon having subsided to giggles. "Do you not understand what just happened to us, Juggy? The Calaveras just started to dig their own grave!" She called, and he sighed. He knew that the Calaveras just pissed Fallon off, and when she got mad, there was always hell to pay.

~~

    Sweet Pea was worried out of his mind. It was two in the morning, and Fallon and Jughead weren't home yet. "Jesus, Sweet Pea, will you calm down? Your pacing is driving me insane." Dixie whisper yelled, a sleeping Forsythia in her arms. "What if something happened to them? What if--" He started, but was cut off by the sound of motorcycle engines outside. He burst out of the tent they were in to see Fallon and Jughead pulling up, Jughead visibly shaken and Fallon obviously angry.

    "Thank God," He sighed as Fallon ran into his arms, burying her face in his chest as his arms went around her. He nestled his nose in her hair, breathing in her smell. "Wait a damn minute," He said, pulling back. "Why the hell do you smell like gunpowder?"

    "That, my king," She said, "Is a long story."

    "We gotta sit down right now and talk about this. Sweet Pea, go get Dallas, the twins, Dixie, Fangs, and my dad. We'll meet in my trailer." Jughead said, and Sweet Pea nodded, his face dark. "Oh, good, you're back. The mini was an angel, but the same can't be said for Sweet Pea. He was worried sick starting at ten thirty." Dixie said, coming over to Fallon with Forsythia in her arms.

    "Thank you so much, Dixie. Hi, peanut! Oh, sweet girl..." Fallon whispered, kissing the top of Forsythia's head as she tucked her against her chest. The two walked to FP's trailer, heading inside to sit in the living room with the rest of the Serpent officers.

    "Okay, what's the verdict?" FP asked, and Fallon sighed. "Well, Knox and the Walkers are more than willing to help us out, just as long as we promise to help them however we can with their war against the Calaveras."

    "That's good," Fangs said, "Anything else?"

    "...Which leads me to our next point." Jughead continued. "Knox wants most, if not all of the Serpents to start carrying guns as well as the blades we already have. Says the Calaveras are armed to the eyeballs, and will not hesitate."

    "Fair enough." Wolfgang said, everyone else nodding.

    "Unfortunately, Jughead and I figured that out firsthand on the way home." Fallon started, causing the air to go out of the room. "What do you mean?" Sweet Pea asked in a deadly low voice, and Fallon swallowed nervously.  "About halfway home, we were attacked by a group of about seven or eight Calaveras. They fired some shots at us, but none of them connected, thank God. I blew out some tires, and Jughead got lucky and hit one of their gas tanks, caused an explosion that stopped em in their tracks."

    "Jesus fucking Christ. I knew we should've gone with you--" Dallas started, her face stone cold, but Jughead cut her off. "Nothing we can do about it now. We made it out alive, but now we know that we need to be about eight thousand times more careful going in and out of Riverdale and Crest Haven."

    "Dev, Wolf, Fangs, you get the orders out to the Serpents tomorrow that if they don't own guns that they can concealed carry on em already, they need to get some ASAP. We don't wanna risk a fight where we're hopelessly outgunned." Fallon said, the three men nodding.

    "And Dallas, Dad, I'm putting you guys on teacher duty. If anyone has questions on how to use said guns, they bring their problems to you. Cool?" Jughead said, FP and Dallas agreeing.

    "Okay. We're good for now, so everyone get back to bed, we'll discuss this further in the morning." Jughead said, concealing a yawn. "Dismissed."

    "I cannot believe you almost died and didn't tell me." Sweet Pea said furiously as he and Fallon descended the steps of the Jones trailer. "Oh, hush. You know now, and I'm not in the mood to argue." Fallon snapped back, ducking into their tent. "Whatever, excuse me for being worried about you." He growled, sliding onto the queen sized air mattress and turning his back to Fallon.

    Fallon let out a long breath through her nose, feeding the baby and settling her into her spot between Sweet Pea and Fallon. "Good night, Peanut." She whispered as the baby drifted back to sleep, and laid down beside her, huffing as she felt Sweet Pea's fingers interwine with hers. I love you, She thought. Even if sometimes I don't show it.