During lunch the next day at school Cat was coming from her locker when she passed the dance committee's table. There was a ruffle around the table with the school colors, and behind it sat Jen and Aaliyah—the new co-captain of the cheer squad. The both looked like they would have fit in more at a photoshoot for Abercrombie than in an actual high school hallway. Aaliyah was actually a model and for the last two years walked run ways with the Victoria's Secret angels. Her caramel skin was as perfect as her dark auburn curls. Cat always thought Aaliyah one of those girls who just work up amazing looking.

"Did you get your ticket yet?" Jen asked as Cat stared at the glitter paint sign.

"I think Dorian's getting them."

"Shut up! He asked you?" Aaliyah squealed with a grin.

Cat nodded as the attention made her cheeks blush bright read. "Yeah."

"What are you wearing?" Jen flipped the cashbox closed as if anticipating something.

"I bet it's in rose gold." Aaliyah gushed. "Cat is the kind of girl that could rock that color. Me on the other hand. I always feel ridiculous in it."

"Don't mind her, she's just upset because I talked her out of getting her dress that shade."

Cat shrugged. "I haven't picked a dress yet. Esme had one in her closet for last year and I thought about just wearing that. It's a black body con dress." She grew hesitant toward the end, fumbling with the fashion terminology.

"The cringey-ness of it being Esme's dress aside. Black? I get that was Esme's signature color and she had that enduring love affair with Breakfast at Tiffany's, but black isn't your color. You were always livelier than that. So your dress needs to be less serious and more fun." Jen stood. "Can you handle the table?"

Aaliyah laughed and saluted. "Aye-aye Captain."

"We're going to the mall in Hartford and you're getting a dress."

"We are?"

"Yup. Don't you want to look good for Dorian?"

"Yeah."

"Then you're coming with me."

Cat ended up spending the rest of the day in Hartford with Jen shopping. She couldn't get over how right it felt to hang out with Jen like no time passed between them getting ready for their first formal when they were twelve and them settling on the cute above the knee off the shoulder rose gold dress. On the drive back, Cat realized how much she missed having girl time and when they parted Jen made her promise to tell her everything that happens at the dance and after.