4- Something More

Drenched from the rain Cat came home just in time to see Pete throw the last of camping gear by the door. Every month Pete went on a retreat with his friends. When she was younger she went with him but the last three years her and Esme stayed home by themselves. It was never a big deal he was only gone for two nights at the most.

"So where to this month? Acadia again?" Cat glanced at the pile of bags. Pete tossed the throw from the couch at her. She wrapped the warm fleece blanket around her shoulders.

"Yup, I'll be back Monday probably just before you leave for school. Do your homework."

"That's longer than usual."

"Yes, and you're going to be seventeen soon, Cat. That means I can slack even more." He flashed her a grin. "It was nice of Scott to give me a call last night when you passed out. That's one attentive guy for a deadbeat."

"Deadbeat?"

"You didn't know? The PTA moms were a buzz with chatter about it in line at the grocery store the other day. Apparently, Scott Midwinter left Dominic and Dorian's mom while she was still pregnant and had been largely a child support kind of guy until recently. She died or something. I didn't get the full story because I had to check out."

"That sucks."

"Yup, but death is a part of life. Unfortunately, you've had more than your fare share of it." Pete frowned and sighed. "Now, get up stairs and change into something not rain soaked. Don't you have a party or something tonight?"

"Yeah..." Cat slumped against the bannister. "I don't know if I'm going to go."

"You're going, Cat." Pete used his rare parental tone.

"But there's probably going to be drinking."

"Which is why you're walking to and from said party, young lady." Pete chuckled as he dug through one of his bags as though looking for something. "You need to have fun and do normal six-teen-year-old girl things. Go to the party, have fun with this Dorian kid and if he tries anything let me know and I'll do the scary parental thing and put him in a coma." Pete turned and grinned as he zipped up the bag again.

"I'm sure he won't. Dorian's not like that."

"Awe, sounds like Kitty Cat has a crush. 'Bout damn time."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're a sixteen-year-old nun. But if anything happens I'm just a phone call away."

"And a six-hour drive."

"I'm not driving the whole way. Matt's flying a bunch of us in his Cessna."

"Fancy."

"Yeah, except for the part where I hate flying and I hate flying in small air crafts most of all. But it cuts hours off the trip." He dusted off his hands and crossed his arms.

"I guess I'm going to get ready for the party. Are you going to be here when I get down?"

"Yup, just so I can make sure you go and at least try to socialize."

"Why are you so mean?"

He shook his head. "I'm not. Trust me. This is just me making certain you have a high school experience."

"I'm not Esme."

"Oh, trust me I know this, Kitty Cat. I wouldn't have to force her to socialize with her peers. Now get."